1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck sits lower on the left rear

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DJ Contracting, Sep 28, 2010.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well it's been going on 4 years and it's really driving me nuts now, my truck sits about 1" lower on the left rear and it's very noticeable. I do have a set of rear timbrens installed already and you can see the left side almost touches the leaf spring on that side, it looks like the right spring has been replaced once.

1. Do I replace both rear springs
    2. Install a 1" spacer under the affected spring
    3. Install air shocks with individual line feed

I'm looking to do this the least expensive way thanks Joe.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was going to say broken spring perhaps. Did they forget to add a spring back in? If it were me, I would replace both rear sets.

3. DJ Contracting

No same amount of springs on each side as for spring being broke I inspected them just prior to postung this thread & they are intact with no breaks, like I posted I have timbrens installed already so I don't want to spend the money on new springs if I don't have to.

4. Brian Young

Could the bed just be tweaked?

5. DJ Contracting

No because I cam see it where the timbren spring touches the top of the spring the left side has about 1/4 gap & the right one has about 1" gap

6. Brian Young

IDK, maybe the one spring that was replaced might be a bit stiffer or even thicker causing that side to be raised up a bit. But an inch is quite a bit of height to gain from just one spring. Was it ever in a wreck?

7. DJ Contracting

Not that I know of, I know both previous owners a father and son owned it (father sold it to his son) then I bought it, yeah I think only one spring was replaced.

8. DJ Contracting

OK so I went out today and measured the hight at the wheel well openings both torsion bars cranked up tight rear tire pres. @ 40 psi hot front 40 psi hot
    LF 36 5/8"
    RF 37 1/2"
    LR 36 1/2"
    RR 37 3/4"
    Now I backed the passenger side torsion bar about 1/3 and this was the end result measurement wise anyway
    LF 36 1/8"
    RF 36 1/4"
    LR 36 7/8"
    RR 37 1/8"
    So I still have about 1/2 inch difference in the rear and not that noticeable, now my question is why can I only crank one T-bar up all the way, and do any of you still think the left rear spring is still the culprit on my left rear sitting lower? Just throwing it out there

9. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

You will always have differences in the screw threads of your t bars.Im assuming the drivers side is all way up? Mine is at least and passenger is maybe half. The trucks sit uneven from the factory and once driver and fuel is loaded should even out. Its not noticeable though.

I would always replace springs in pairs as the de-arch over time so one will always be sitting lower. I would get new springs and then bags if you haul heavy. I got bags and on board air and love it. Would never go back.

10. DJ Contracting

I did not know that about the t-bars always being different, mine is the same the dr. side is cranked all the way & the pass. is about 2/3 cranked up, I already have rear timbrens on the truck for the heavier hauls.

11. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

It is never advisable to only replace one side of leaf springs. When one breaks, the only right way to do it is to do both to compensate for wear, different metals, and different spring rates. I've fought with many people in the shop about this. The only time i'll only replace one side is if I know the customer and they are hard up for cash and understand that the truck will not be level, probably not take a correct alignment, and possibly wear tires funny.

12. DJ Contracting

Yeah the previous owner may have replaced just one side.