1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck-side wiring plugs replaceable?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JMA1181, Nov 14, 2011.

1. JMA1181

JMA1181 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I had a problem last year with my drivers side headlight not working then the passenger headlight went out. Had to replace the smart junction box. That didn't correct the problem with the drivers side headlight but did with the passenger side. Ford advised me that the connections were coroded and I needed to replace one of the wires. To do this I had to purchase the entire adapter kit from Boss. This fixed the problem to a certain extent but headlight is still hit or miss if its going to work or not on the truck. I tie wrapped it to the headlight assembly to hold it in the right spot and lasted for a while but finally worked itself loose I guess. I unplugged the truckside wiring to that headlight and hooked it up like it was from the factory and it has been just fine since. Now I have to hook the adapter and everything back up to make it so my plow lights will work. The connection is loose. Do I need to replace all of the truck side wiring or can I just splice on a new end? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Truck is an 08 Ford.

Thanks

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Are you talking the blue or black ends where the headlight adapters plug into? If you can get a pigtail from the dealer if he has a older harness laying around you can. Otherwise use some die electric grease on the connections.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you got the early adapters with the black rubber plug housings that were problematic for connection issues. They've since been upgraded to a revised connector for the Fords and Dodges with H13's to solve the issue. The revised adapters will have grey plugs and be made of plastic instead of the previous black rubber connectors. P/n is MSC09993 and should only run around $55 for the set.

These should solve your connection issue. :salute:

4. JMA1181

JMA1181 Junior Member
    from Indiana

B&B, I bought that part number last year and it still didn't fix the problem. The plug has a loose connection no matter which adapter I put on it. I solved the problem for now by using some zip ties to hold it in place for now. It looks like the plug coming from the actual truck-side wiring may be the problem. Is there a better fix for this?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Purchase a couple new pigtails to replace the truck side headlamp connectors. They're available at most parts stores now or online for minimal cost. Be sure to properly crimp, solder and heat shrink the connections well so they don't create new issues with corrosion down the road.

However, be sure to test fit the new connectors in the adapters first, I've seen some replacement connectors that didn't fit very well so you want to be sure beforehand otherwise you'll be no better off than before.