1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck side wiring help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by farmerkev, Nov 11, 2011.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Looking for a little guidance here. I bought a 99 Chevy 3500 with a unimount on it but no wiring, and just picked up a plow for it too. I have everything other than the truck side wiring. Talking to the local western dealer makes it sound like im looking at about $800 in parts brand new. Wondering if I can get some help tracking down part numbers so I can look around myself, or if somebody has anything that I might need you can sell.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

We will need more details to help you out. Straight blade or V plow? How many cables does it have two or three? Is the plow the old isarmatic or something else? Isarmatic has the lift ram intigrated into the pump housing.

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

its just a plain old straight blade. It also is the isarmatic setup. Along the lines of cables, I am not sure what you mean about the cables. There are two plugs coming off of the plow. Hope this helps, thanks

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Control harness- 61437
    Headlamp harness- 61515 (composite) or 61545 (sealed beams)
    Power cable- 61169
    Battery-to-motor relay cable- 22511

Need a motor relay and a controller of course also.

5. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Thanks B&B! that helped alot.

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

What are my options for a controller? I know there is the regular joystick and the corded handheld for straight blades. Ive seen the newer corded handles cheaper, but will they plug and go with the wiring I have?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure it's not a 4-pin controller, it must be a 6-pin but can be either a handheld or joystick.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

B&B

Would a unimount harness that came off of an 2001 GMC Serria 3500 work on his 99 headlight setup? I can't remember if they are the same or not?

If they will, I have the harness that you need and it would be a lot cheaper than $800.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes and no. Your harness is for positive common and uses 6 relays, Kev's 99 is negative common and only needs 2 relays. It could be cut down and re-pinned to work but I doubt it's worth the hassle or room for error on his part. Unless, you wanted to make all the modifications for him beforehand as I know you're wiring savvy enough to handle it. But the correct harness brand new is only $54 so that would be up to you guys whether it's worth it or not.

Also, I noticed an error in the headlamp harness p/n I posted previously. Should be 61716 (composite) and 61546 (sealed beam) The initial p/n's are for the kits, not just the headlamp harness's themselves.

10. Philbilly2

Thanks B&B. Farmerkev, it is up to you.

What is $54? Just the headlight light cables and relays that attach to the rest of the main harness I assume?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, you're not getting a whole truck side for $54...and if so sign me up for a few dozen. :D

12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Little confusesd. My dealer gave me a quote, and on the parts list is part #61545. So this is for the whole harness, light and control oppsed to just the light harness? And would still be a part tha would work for me? Was about to order one and want to make sure its right.

And just to ask, what do you find to be a good place to order from? I was gonna order from plowpartsdirect, they seem to be the cheapest I can find

13. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

And philbilly, I dont want to have to mess with the wire change, if its something your wiling to do and can still get it to me cheaper than me ordering one I think Id be interested.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

61545 is the headlamp harness and main control harness as a kit, which contains the 61546 headlamp harness and 61437 control harness both. If buying a complete truck side new it's a better deal than buying them individually. But not so much when you're piercing something together or already have something included in said kit. If you got a headlamp harness from Phil you wouldn't buy the 61545, just the 61437.

15. Philbilly2

its up to you bud. I have the whole harness here minus the controller. I can switch the wiring on the relays around and ship it off to you if you want. If you want to buy new, I won't mind either way.

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I ended up ordering new. Found what I think is a pretty good deal.