1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck sick while plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by L.I.Mike, Jan 22, 2012.

1. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

For the last 4 years I have plowed roads for the town, with the storm yesterday the town did not call but I helped a friend with his accounts. With the constant back and forth in the parking lots my old nemesis ( car sick) came back. I opened the windows, ate pretzels, drank some Coke and it did not help. Plus the diesel smell pushed me over the edge.
    Any one else have the same problem? If so what do you do to prepare yourself so you are not puking all over the parking lot?

2. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

Ive always liked Pretzel and Beer ! try cutting out the coke! maybe name your truck the Boat and claim sea sickness! or call it the Jet and get puke sacks! usually in Canada we eat a good breakfest and drink coffee ! weird pretzels and pop sound healthy!:laughing::laughing:

3. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

that's the main reason I don't run diesels, because they are too fumey during plowing.

I'd recommend taking a motion sickness pill before and during plowing.
    They seem to help with my vertigo, so might help there too.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Replace the coke with Gatorade and try saltine crackers instead of pretzels. Get the extra big bottle of Tums and try chewing gum.

5. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

If its the fumes alone put some stacks on that beatch!

6. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I would be careful that you are not getting carbon monoxide exposure.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Try not being a pu$$y! Lol just kidding. Seriously take a dramamine and that should solve a lot. Also I keep my window down a little with the heater on. Seems to keep fresh air circulating. Hope that helps.

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Check for an exhaust leak, could be minor CO poisoning.

9. tjdozerman

tjdozerman Member

It's funny that I saw this thread today. I Have been plowing snow for 20 years and yesterday was the first time ever it has happened to me. Same truck and lots as last year but it kicked my butt yesterday. Got home and told my wife bout it and she got a good laugh out of it too.

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Most motion sickness is a result of an inner ear problem, have your ears checked next time you're at the doctor, Just an idea.

11. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Could very well be true.
    A few years back my manager for the lots I plow was plowing and became so overcome by cardon monoxide he had to be rushed to the hospital. So from now on I always leave my driver window half open with the heat on.

12. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

It happens no matter what I drove. The Bronco was OK but after a while the car sickness was bad. I drove 2 other trucks to see if it was a vehicle problem but it was me. Tried the dramamine but it put me to sleep.
    I am fine doing roads but the back and forth of lots does me in. I will try the gatorade and saltines should I find myself doing lots again, Thanks.:drinkup:

13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ginger Root.

You'd be amazed at how well it works. It's an old sailors remedy.

Anybody that I've suggested it to said it works great.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

yeah, try some Canada Dry with the saltines.

15. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I don't think there's a remedy for motion sickness, while your in motion...!

16. tjdozerman

tjdozerman Member

Mike, where you at out here on the island ?

17. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Anyone I know that gets car sick is fine as long as they're driving. Works out for me, gets the girlfriend to drive everywhere.

18. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I am over in Holbrook.

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Good call! A buddy of mine at school used to plow with a 97 F350 PSD- last year he passed out while plowing due to an exhaust leak- CO poisoning- luckily he pulled through okay, but still scary!

Since then on I always plow with at least 1 window partially open.....