1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Shopping

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by csx5197, Mar 9, 2008.

1. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

My buddy is looking at getting a newer F-250, probably somewhere in the range of 200-2005. He likes the extended cab I think. Just unsure about getting a diesel or a gas one. He doesn't drive to work, so it pretty much would be driven around town maybe here or there. He's also on the fire department so if theres a flood or something it might sit and idle for awhile. Just looking to get an idea which he should get. He's found a 7.3 that he likes, but not sure if he really needs it. Of course he wants it, but is it beneficial for him?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Gas is cheaper to run and to maintain.
  3. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

Gas cost more per mile to operate than a diesel, but a diesel has more power and usually longer engine life.
  4. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

like I said, he doesn't pull anything and just kinda drives around locally. I don't think its worth it, but just wanted to get some opinions. I full agree with you though on the engine's power and longevity of a diesel over a gas.
  5. aklandscape

aklandscape Junior Member

diesel is now almost $.70 higher a gallon, so gas might be the way to go for fuel.
  6. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

If you are not hauling or towing, then you are just wasting money with the diesel. Especially with fuel prices the way they are, the only advantage a diesel has is TORQUE.
  7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

why does he even need a fullsized truck?
    ford ranger four banger
  8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

A gas truck is cheaper to run than a Diesel now. Tell him I have a 2004 Lariet that will be up for sale at the end of the month.
  9. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

gasser if it is going to sit around
  10. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

7.3L PSD is he wants to spend about $1k on after market parts. Get a economy 75hp chip, open exaust, K&N air filter kit. He will get 20-22 mpg all day long on the highway and 18 mpg in town. At least I did with my 2001 7.3L with 3.73 rear gears. The increase in MPG will easily offset the cost difference in gas vs. diesel