1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck shopping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rochester, Dec 13, 2000.

1. rochester

rochester Junior Member

First year plowing....Im working for a guy now driving his new chevy 3/4 ton with a 8 ft western pro plow (great truck). Im looking down the road at buying my own truck and going into business for myself. I have 2 options, continue to work for this guy at $50 per hour w/ my truck (pays me $20 per hr now to drive his) or set up my own contracts.
    About the truck purchase I will have about 10k cash when I shop. Im trying to decide if I want to finance a new one or pay cash for what I can afford. I will be doing residential and a couple of sm-med parking lots. Do I need a 3/4 ton ? Is it worth the extra $ ?
    I would be willing to spend up to 25k for a new truck if it were worth the investment.
    Also, any thoughts on plows?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I am not going to tell you that you must buy a new truck, however I would strongely suggest it.

Skip the 3/4 ton and go to the 1 ton. I don't care what brand you want just get a 1 ton pick up or whatever.

Why the 1-ton?

Stronger plow truck
    Has the ablility to carry a v-box if you buy one down the road.
    The cost isn't much different The difference between a F 250 SD 4X4 xl and F 350 SD 4X$ XLT is about 800 dollars.

Plows 8.5 Fisher v-plow and v-box

Do a search with the keyword trucks, you will find plenty of answers.

3. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

I'm with geoff,
    My next truck will be a 1 ton. I already foud it, now i just have to pay for it.

let us know what you do.