1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Setup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TakeMeHome, Nov 14, 2009.

1. TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome Junior Member

Ok, '00 Dodge Ram half ton. Not what you want, I know. It will have a 7.5ft meyer plow on the front of it (not sure what year, but it has the e47 pump, so I guess its older), I think it weighs around 500lbs. It won't see a ton of action cuz this is my father in laws first year of plowing. I know he's got to take it easy, come to a complete stop, etc. But how should he balance the front weight? How much weight should be in back?

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but his four plow accounts are within a 10 minute drive of the house on city (35mph) streets, and it will all be slow speed plowing. One lot will involve some backdragging away from ramps.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put about 500lbs of sand bags and 100lbs of ice melt for when he gets stuck or to throw down on icy spots.
    Put it as close to the tailgate as possible

4. TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome Junior Member

1) Really good stuff, thanks!

2) If he can make it through this season with just his few jobs and turn a profit, I am SOOO telling him to get a 1 ton.

but you already knew that didn't you?:nod:

5. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i would put some timberions on the front, when driving down the road with the plow in the air, and you hit a pot hole or go over rr tracks, the bouncing up and down is hell on the suspension

6. hydro_37

from iowa

Alot of people plow with 1/2 ton trucks and do it for many years.
    No need for him to upgrafe unless he is taking on ALOT more accounts and getting a bigger plow.

7. mballos1

mballos1 Junior Member

Hi, I am new to commercial plowing myself, I signed on to plow with a local municipality. I am getting a late start in the season and didn't have any driveway accounts setup so I figured it would be a good thing. This is the first I am hearing about weight in the truck? I have a 2006 Ram 2500 reg cab diesel with an 8' fisher plow do I need weight in the bed and and the plow?.

8. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

plowed with a 1/2 ton dodge for years... just be prepared to replace the front end... frequently!

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Welcome to Plowsite U, sounds like you need to take Ballast 101 and search 101:laughing:

Here is a great thread on ballast, explains it a-z with some BS thrown in. The search feature is your friend use it and you will find hours of reading on most any plow subject. Some of it's even informative;)

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=85592

10. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

Whats Occam's razor?

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

12. hydro_37

from iowa

Put as much weight in the bed as what the plow weighs or more.

13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

The way I set up my truck was to have it on flat ground and the plow resting on the ground. I then measured the distance from the cement to the top of the wheel well. I then raised the plow and measured again. The front of my truck was lower with the plow on, so I put a 2x4 and plywood frame behind the rear wheel wells and added sand bags between the rear of the rear wheel wells and the tailgate until the distance was just above the original height. The only problem that I had is that if I want to use the back of the truck for anything else, I have a lot of weight to remove first. That gets old real quick.

I have thought about putting heavy duty plastic in the same location and pouring cement in there with a eye bolt or two to lift it out with a payloader. I have a bed liner in the bed with groves that are angled and that and the wheel wells should hold the weight in place. Unfortunately, I don't know how thick it should be to get the proper weight. Trial and error isn't going to get it right now.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Concrete is a calculable weight.

15. hydro_37

from iowa

If your bad at math then go to the local cement company.....lol

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

150lbs @cubic foot. if you are going to do that I'd add some wire and a couple of lugs for rachet straps to keep it in place.

17. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

make a rigid box to hold ballast,

when i bought my new 87 150 i had concrte and blocks leftover and theyfroze in there, on the coldest day, i was spinning at a light and when the tires got traction, the load blew right thru my tailgate, i had to drive over the tailgate to straighten it lol

18. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies on using a concrete slab. I would think that if I form fitted to those groves in the Bed Liner that half goes on a angle one way and the other half goes the opposite way should keep it from going any where. Now that you mentioned it would have to put pressure on the back of the truck and not on the tail gate itself.

Basher, Thanks for the 150lbs information and I will definitely put in some lugs in to tie it down just in case. I don't want it to go out the tail gate, but even more so, I don't want it to go through the cab.

Takemehome, I sure hope this has helped you. I have been doing what Hydro 37 suggested and it works, but it's a lot of work if you want to take it out to use the truck for hauling something..

Iplowsno, you just made me think that if I form fitted the slab to the truck, I may have a hard time getting it out because of the lip on the truck bed.

Thanks again for all your help for Takemehome and myself.