1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck setup question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman-57, Nov 3, 2004.

1. snowman-57

snowman-57 Junior Member
    from Mi.

First I got to say this is a awesome website.
    I am getting back into plowing next winter 2005-2006.
    Going to do residentials.
    My wife (the boss) said pick out a plow setup.
    Am torn between a chevy 2500 with 8.5'western vplow and chevy 1500 short box w/ 7.5 western poly or steel.
    And yes I know some of you aren't gm fans but I get a gm discount through my father inlaw. We will be getting this truck next june or july.
    Witch one of these trucks would you recommend?
    I have seen some guys with salt spreaders and I know they only do drives.You wouldn't salt that many drives so I could do it by hand,shovel or those hand held salt spreaders.Truck would have soft tonneau cover.
    What are your thoughts on the salt spreader?
    Thanks for your help and THINK SNOW

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!! :redbounce
    I would go with the 2500 and V plow hands down. :nod: You can haul more with the 2500 and push more snow with the V. :waving:

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

There is nothing wrong with using a GM truck for plowing, some people just do not like them because there noses don't sit as high as others. I guess they think they cannot handle the weight. If you do not like the sag they have look into timbrens, they should all but eliminate the sag.(do a search they have been discussed on here often)

As for the truck, I would go with the 2500 (but get the HD) great truck I will be using mine for the first time this year(used to plow with 250SD fords for work, but I have my own truck now, and I like the GM ride). With the 2500HD you can grow to larger plowing if you wish in the future, plus a 1500 cannot handle the weight of a spreader(picture a 1500 with a plow and like 700 lbs of salt in the back).

My thought on a spreader for driveways only is that it is over kill, you would be better off spreading it by hand, or a push spreader unless the driveway is HUGE. One thing to keep in mind is that when you spread salt your insurance might be higher, depends on the coverage, area and agency. But I am no expert on insurance, and I do not want to be(I am going to hold off until next year to start to plow on my own, not enough time for me to get insurance, DBA, and a decent route to make it worth my while. So until then I will be doing my drive way, and my families, but that is about it, and will worry about insurance then)

4. I wouldn't use anything except a GM truck, but thats just me. Love everything about them. Almost everyone in my area uses GM's, especially when it comes to the heavier trucks. Besides that, definately, hands down, if you gotta buy a new one, get a V Plow, you WON'T be sorry :salute:

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

V-plows are great, but it depends on what your will be plowing with it. If you plan on doing a low of wind rowing, v-plows will "collapse" under heavy loads(i.e. that heavy wet snow). That and if you are doing only small area's a straight plow will work just as well as a v-plow. The one major advantage to a v-plow is the scoop position when you are cleaning up, but other than that I can/have done just as much with a straight blade as with a v-blade.

Why spen dthe extra monay on something that is not really necessary...

Personally I think the ideal situation would to have both available, but not all of us have the $$ for that! payup

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

how will the plow colapse? most v-blades are not made out of aluminum foil :rolleyes:

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

this plow didnt colapse when it cought a drainage grate that was lifted up slightly, as a mater of fact the whole subframe on the truck was destroyed and the truck totaled. hmmm....

man thats some strong foil :eek: :eek: :eek:

27_25a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

By collaps I menat the wing would move pack because the reliefe valve on the angle cylendar relases because of the pressure. When I plowed with a fisher EZ-V in the straight or angled position the wings would always move back tward the truck, and I would have to reset them(which whas a real pain with there old hand held control with the mode button).

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Dont have this problem on my 9.5' fisher V :confused: I do mostly large wide open comercial and truck along pretty good.

The ultimate driveway rig(for chevy dodge) would be a Chevy or GMC 2500HD reg cab with a 8.5 fisher or western V and a back blade. 8.5 is more manuverable in tighter areas. You would have a very manuverable and capable rig. Otherwise i would vote for an even bigger blade if you wernt strictly resi, unless your rsi as all wide open and you could esily use a bigger blade? probabbly go with the 8.5 though.

Do you need to spread material?(salt sand liquid mag???)

JMO

Gas 6.0 or 8.1 or Diesel is up to you too.

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I don't know but I can tell you it happend, more often when I was trying to move banks back. I know I am not the only one in my area to have this complaint. I think the relief valves need to be stepped up just a bit, or have some sort of control to lock them in place.

11. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I always thought The Boss was a man, in fact, I knew he was :p *Just having fun*