1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck sags on front

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by revman19, Jan 20, 2008.

1. revman19

revman19 Junior Member

I have an 01 F-150 with a new Boss 7.6 blade on it. She has torsion bars just wondering if there are aftermarket torsion bars for itor maybe some kind of kit to put in it to keep it from sagging with the weight of the plow.

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

buy timbrens

3. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

you can get a 2.5 in leveling kit and put a set of timbrens up front as well as crank the Tbars a few times my .02

4. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Just crank them till they snap!

5. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

wht u get when buying a newer ford...should of gota a 3/4 ton

6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

crank the torsion bars 5 times, and get some timbrens-they work wonders.

http://www.truckspring.com/timbren_285.html

7. svelasquez

svelasquez Member

My torsion bars are cranked all the way up and I just added a set of Timberens a few weeks ago. My clearance from floor to front wheel well decreases by less than 1/2" with the plow raised.

Also, remember to add ballast to the rear of the truck. Opinions vary, I've heard as little as 300 and as much as 500lbs. to the rear, specifically behind the rear axle.

The plow on the front is cantilevered, meaning that it is supported on only one side. The mount is where the entire load is transferred to. Approx. five to eight hundred pounds of "dead load" (the plow) followed by the "live load" whatever amount of weight is being pushed (snow / ice). All that weight is transferred somewhere (your truck).

Do the math and add plenty of support to your vehicle (torsions, timberens, ballast, aggressive tires with enhanced load capacity - all good ideas). Over the life of the vehicle, it'll payup pay you dearly.

Take care,

Steve

8. revman19

revman19 Junior Member

thanks for all the tips except you lawnmaster:gunsfiring: I'll order the timbrens and follow your advice.

9. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

1/2 ton plow trucks don't last. Should have got a 3/4 ton. My Excursion sagged when I put the plow on. I added Firestone airbags all around, gave the truck a 3 inch lift.

10. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

:nono:
    :nono:

Should have got a Chev!!!! That will make you earn some $$$$payup.
    Good luck in getting your Ford leveled out Try getting a 2.5" leveling kit

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  11. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Good advise, but the most important is ballast!;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008