1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck sags in the rear, what to do?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

i have a 2000 F-350 diesel extended cab, and in the summer i installed timbrens to the front end which made the truck sit level, maybe just slightly rear heavy, but when i put the plow on it looks great, but now that i have been doing more salting the truck looks terrible, i keep 17 50 pound buckets of salt and my Western tailgate salter on, all the time, and i dont like the way the truck sits, should i look in to timbrens for the rear, or add a leaf or two? a guy on here has a set of timbrens from a 94 f 250 that he thinks may work i figure i can fabricate a bracket for them. Does any one know how they mount or have a pic of how they mount to the rear? What should i do leaf spring or timbren????? Any suggestions would be helpful
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would look into a set of air lift for the rear. I was just looking into them myself, they come in 1k or 5k lifts. The 5k lift capacity is $209.00 and the 1k lifts are around $179.00 out of Jegs Performance catalog.
  3. Brian Young

Alos they bolt right above the rear springs, very very easy to install, then if you ever wanted to take them off just deflate and unbolt.
  4. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Sounds like you have a broken leaf. Don't waste you time with airbags. They are for people that ride around 99% time empty and occasionally carry a load. Go to a spring shop and have real springs added or replaced.
  5. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I had a spring shop add two leafs to the rear of my F-250 Super Duty and it worked great. I spent about $350 but it was worth every dollar. Just make sure you don't overload the truck or the tires.
  6. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

we run full air ride suspension in the rear, not a cheap little sett up but the real deal, it works great and is nice to have in the warmer months when the truck is hauling horse trailers all over the country.
  7. Brian Young

What ever dude, they are made to carry a load 27/7. If you get actual springs and loose the balasts in the front during the summer its going to look like a hill billy jacked up truck. And its going to ride a little stiffer when you add springs, but it is a truck so I always expect a rough ride. I would say if you are going to leave the front end alone then yes get the springs but if you plan on removing the balasts then I would go with the air set up.
  8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Air bags are great for any load, with the compressor you can add or let air out as the load changes and it will with a sander.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i installed timbrens on the rear of my dodge works great and when its empty
    the ride doesnt suffer.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I installed a set of the 5000lbs airbags on a 97 dodge in 97, and they still work great. It always has the right right altitude let a little bit of air in, or out no matter what the load (or not) it rides right. I used separate fills so I can balance yawl also.
  11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've always been a little interested in airbags, but I'm not sure I can justify them. The truck seems to do great without them. My biggest complaint would have to be that the rearend rides kind of harsh in the rear when it's empty all summer. I noticed my overloads have stops with little rubber protectors on them, the rubber has worn through which is probably adding to the harsh bang in the rear when I hit bumps unloaded. Like I said, I don't think I need them, but could I do airbags front and rear just for the fun of it? Seems like it would be beneficial when carrying the plow, and I'd like to be able to smooth out the empty ride. I've always preferred air-ride over springs in a big cdl truck, but I've never seen it on a torsion bar frontend on a little truck.
  12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Airbags all the way. I installed a set of 5000# this fall and love them. They keep the truck level, and when I am not carrying anything I drop the air preasure to about 5 psi. Ride's just fine.

Regards Mike
  13. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Mike do you have your own compressor where you can turn them up or down inside the truck? Or did you run an air hose from the bags to the bumper for easy inflating and deflating?
  14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Mark
    I ran them in the rear bumper. When I am loading the spreader in the truck I add about 25 psi to the air bags. I try to leave about 5 psi in the bags if I am running empty.

Regards Mike
  15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Please tell me how spring make the truck look hillbilly. Springs don't even touch till truck is loaded.

yea my truck looks real hillbilly here is sits unloaded. I doesn't look jacked up to me.

Maybe someday you will get a real truck too and not a little 1/2 ton.
  16. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

No bags here,I`ll be going with new springs as mine are sagging also. Live in NW Illinois any spring shop that will do mine (Dodge dually 1 ton flatbed) for $350 will get my biz. Last I checked they wanted that for parts alone.
  17. PremierLand

from detroit

I have mine running to the rear bumper also. I usually leave it at about 25psi unloaded and around 70psi loaded with the trailer+grass, etc.

I was thinking about getting the compressor and tank so I can fill them up onboard, and also inflate truck tires, wheel barrow's, mowers, etc.
  18. PremierLand

from detroit

delete post please
  19. yancy

yancy Senior Member

I love my timbrens on my truck It hardly squats at all and I have pulled and hulled some heavy loads, but my truck rides like a brick s*it house. on a stock truck it might ride better. with the added weight of the DMI and my tool box, tuck bed empty I carry about 700- 800 LBS.
  20. xxxreaper

xxxreaper Junior Member

I would go with the springs. But mostly because I dont know anything about air ride! I had a 98 gmc 2500hd and carried about 2500 pounds in the bed 24/7. I had 2 springs addded to each side and it did the trick nicely. I now have a f250 super duty carrying the same weight and I am thinking of doing the same.