1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck running hot on any highway

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Workaholic, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I have 03' GMC 2500 GAS 6.0L

While running down any highway 55+mph (90+km/h tymusic )
    My heat guages sky rocket. I have tryed adjusting the plow position every different way possible. I pulled over and checked to see if my fan (manual clutch style) kicked on and it is working.

Is my fan a 2 speed like my 05 duramax? Is it possible the fan isnt going as fast as it should?

Any ideas?

Its ok if I am driving it but Im afraid my drivers will not even think to monitor the guages come winter.

Any advice would be great.

I am going to try and degrease/hose my radiatior out and try it again. Maybe there is alot of crud built up in it.

Trucks temp is fine when doing slow city driving or stop go traffic.
  2. Very common problem. I have to drop my plow almost do the asphalt in my 2003 Ram BUT what you could also do is change your thermostat to a colder temp therm. Only problem with that is it takes longer for your truck to warm up in the winter and you may get less heat from the heater.

Its simply too mild right now for the plows to be on here buddy.
  3. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Issue I had was slightly different. The story I was told was that the plow was creating a low pressure area behind it and it was causing the fan to operate in reverse, not even pulling air through the radiator at all. I went through 3 fan clutches last season alone, all warranty thank goodness. This on a 08 diesel at -30. I have a airfoil on my light tower now to direct air into the radiator, should take care of the problem.
  4. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

We had a 1993 GMC with the same problem. We ended up replaced the clutch fan with a aftermarket non-clutch fan, and that solved the problem. Always tell your drivers to be sure the blade is angled all the way to one side.