1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck runging rough

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikes plowing, Oct 28, 2005.

1. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Well I thought I had my 87 blazer running good, It has a 5.0 with tbi in it. Ran the truck to day and when at idel it wants to shut off. When on the gas runs good, just at idle it wants to act up. Trying to figure it out is makeing me:dizzy: any one have a clue what it might be. I got so many new parts on it i can't think.

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

id check the TPS (throttle position sensor) i had this same trouble with my s-10

3. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I'll try checking that in the am when done at work. I put a new one on along with all the other sensers. But I'll check it.thanks

4. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

not to sound like you don't know what your doing but did you adjust it?? I believe they need to be adjusted to work right. I don't know how to do it though!!

5. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

I think your EGR valve is stuck.....open
    When the egr valve is open It acts like a massive vaccum leak ....
    probably a little chunk of carbon holding it open.
    This is a very common problem on the 4.3 and 5.0
    mike

6. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Thanks For The Help

I did adj the tps when it was put on. checked that the egr vavle. found one of the rubber plugs on the carb was cracked, replaced it seems to be running some what better. I only drove it a short time though. I'll have to drive it to work and see what hapends. I'll let you know what I find.

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

a easy way to check for other vaccuam leaks is to spray the lines with carb cleaner and you will hear the engine rev up when ever there is a crack in a line

8. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

Ironworker i think you are so correct with your EGR hindsights..since a new one would cost a whopping $300+,i just take my egr out every season and remove all the carbon that it's so prone to accumulate,takes maybe 2hrs of my time to be this cheap!lol...to anyone who does this,when the little plunger is clean,it'll snap cleanly towards you..