1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Rolled Into the woods....whats wrong!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Nov 25, 2010.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

So, yesterday morning I wake to dad coming back home from work soon after he left in his personal suburban....certainly thought that was odd. He comes upstairs and asks me where the tow chains and straps were (hmmmmm where could this be going)! So he proceeds to tell me that he company truck overnight rolled forward down the hill in front of where it was parked into the woods!! UNREAL! And asked if i could bring my truck to try and pull it out. What you see in the pics below is how it was found and after my truck pulled it out! Lemme just say here that it made me love my truck that much more!!!! So from there it was left in the parking lot and everyone went to work.

Fast forward to today! I was curious to look at the truck so I took dad over to his office to see what was up with it. The truck was able to move forward and backwards when in four wheel drive but nothing in two wheel drive....it was like it was in neutral! I moved it back and dad said there was a good sized puddle of fluid under the truck so i put it back and parked it. I crawled underneath thinking there was something cracked or broken. What did i find......SOMEONE STOLE THE DRIVESHAFT!!!!! Then either proceeded to push the truck down the hill or it was windy that night and i guess it could have gotten moving enough to get to the edge of the embankment on its own. CRAZY experience!!! I kind of want to sit there tonight or tomorrow night to see if someone comes back!

Here's why I'm asking about the problem. The company owner has been looking for a reason to get a new suburban anyway so when he found out about this he decided he was just going to get a new suburban and I may end up "getting" this one. So, I want to start figuring out what may be wrong with it.

There is some (little) cosmetic damage to the truck. It will probably need a new passenger door skin and a new hood and bottom valence panel....that's it for looks. Now, here's what it is doing mechanically. The ABS light is on now for some reason and when the truck is in drive the speedo says the truck is going 10MPH even standing still and the RPM's rev to around 1,000 or so (i think it does this in both 2wd and 4wd situations, but maybe only in 2wd). Speed sensor issue? Next, sometimes when shifting in and out of P-R-N-D it sounds like there is a hissing sound coming from the trans or possibly the T-Case. Could this be from not having the driveshaft there or low fluid in the t-case?

Ive always wanted a 3/4 ton suburban. This company has always had them and my dad has always bought a used one for a personal vehicle from the company. I have big plans for this if i get it :D

Thanks for the help guys!

IMG00393-20101124-0727.jpg

IMG00394-20101124-0731.jpg

IMG00395-20101124-0735.jpg

2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

First off removing the Drive shaft should not cause a leak...

Unless the trans pan got damaged...

3. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I am not sure what a suburban has, but on our older trucks the rear driveshaft had a slip yoke that went into the transfer case. When we would pull the driveshaft to fix things it would leak a little.

4. mcwlandscaping

Mossman, that is what the suburban has...same drivetrain as a gm 2500 non-hd! It was only a small puddle

5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

that will happen

6. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Man that sucks... those illegals were stealing copper... but drive shafts?! lol

I doubt someone stole it... Let me think about it for a couple and chat with my mech... funny crap happens all the time to trucks... and its hard to believe what could cause it... but give me a min. or two and I will post up my thoughts on what happened for real and why it rolled down the hill.

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

ya he drove it home no problem, the driveshaft all by itsself fell out of it sitting in the driveway and then the truck blew away and now the driveshaft is nowhere to be found LOL

8. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

...(drum roll please)... and here we are... I believe that one of the following is the problem Transmission Shift Position Sequence, Starter Interlock, And Transmission Braking Effect. Or it could be the parking "pawl" ring (which has been a culprit in the past). Basically there is a ring connected to a spring that engages the parking break. On many (especially GM) vehicles it wears out. As for the ABS it could be a number of things. I have an '01 Z71 1500 that does not engage the manual parking brake once I push it in with my foot because of the ring being bent (I suspect) and '01 and around that time Chevy brakes are suspect as well, as the valve on the ABS gets locked up in the open position and fails, and they regularly require ABS censor clean out as well where the speed/abs censors are. They get full of crud and then when you get around 8-10 MPH it will engage ABS and lock you out as you slowly move towards hitting something LOL. Trust me that one made me leave stains in my panties once... LOL uhmmmmm and also it could have to do with the shifting. More common on older dodges (late 90's), but sometimes it will display a different gear than what it is actually in.... and usually that is how you get roll aways.

As for the drive shaft, my guess is it was damaged and came off... I'm not sure though. If you find the reason the drive shaft is gone, that is probably why the truck malfunctioned and why it rolled off... But I can't see it for myself... All I can say is claim it with insurance and get a new truck... and have that old one inspected head to toe by a reputable GM dealer/shop before you put it back on the road as a plow truck. I had to do so with my Z71 and I have never regretted it... better safe than sorry.

Let us know what really happened to it! I'm interested haha... this one puzzles me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  9. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I know it sounds stupid... but I watched a guy lose a drive shaft and keep going last year in a storm. Looked like an old blazer and he was at least rolling away... IDK if he was still able to engage because of being in 4x4 or what... but he never noticed that it FELL OFF LOL!!

His father could have damaged it previously... it falls off on that short drive before he comes back...and then it rolls off because of the same event that caused damage... and then he discovers the drive shaft is gone.... It sounds stupid but in the 18 years of my life... My father has been the local fire chief and I have seen all kinds of crap like that. And our mechanic for our family biz (plow biz is part of it) has had to deal with lots of crap like that on our trucks/vans. You'd be ubbbberrr surprised what some of our guys have done to our trucks :laughing: I didn't know before I met "the toothless wonder" (an old employee of ours) that you could drive with only 3 of 4 wheels physically on the vehicle.... well now I know you can lose a front left and drive half way around town before you start grinding down on where the wheel used to be.... hahaha.... you should have seen our faces when we got there.... the amazing part was they made it one turn and five blocks from where the wheel was...

10. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

... ohh... and the hub assembly/ tie rod and all the lil goodies on the left IFS was attached to the wheel... along with a tire on that wheel.... Did I forget that part... and he had no clue when the damage happened...hmmm LOL

11. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

here is recall info that pertains to your vehicle...this is the same as what happened to mine with the ABS

RECALL: 1999-2002 Chevrolet Suburban - NEW
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 05V379000

www.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Manufacturer GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Recall Date: 8/30/2005
    Potential Number Of Units Affected: 804,000
    Description SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
    Summary CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WEST VIRGINIA ONLY.
    Consequence THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy DEALERS ARE TO REMOVE THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR MOUNTING SURFACE ON THE BEARING, APPLY RUST INHIBITOR TO THE CLEANED SURFACE, GREASE THE MOUNTING SURFACE, REINSTALL THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, AND CHECK THE PEAK-TO-PEAK OUTPUT VOLTAGE TO ENSURE THE WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL IS WITHIN SPECIFICATIONS. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.

12. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

I bet it fell off a jack and it rolled

13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Yikes! what would you do with a sub,? plow/estimate vehicle?

14. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Just one question... Is that a security truck? that's what those large suburbans are commonly used for and it looks like it in the pic.

and for the ironic part... if it is a security company... It is kinda funny if someone really did steal a driveshaft right off of the truck LOL. That would be one bold thief haha.

15. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Any of those internal trans parts might be the issue if the driveshaft was still there. If the story went the way he said it went, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, the missing driveshaft is the only explanation. The truck was driven to where it was and parked, so it had a driveshaft. Even if something failed in the trans and allowed it to roll or it was left in neutral, the roll down a small hill and crash wouldn't cause the driveshaft to fall out (and disappear?). Those driveshafts aren't cheap, so if somebody needed one, it isn't hard to believe. The comment about "illegals" is just dumb and so is the rest of the argument.

Good luck with the truck if you get it. There are a bunch of things that can set off an abs light and the recall you mentioned may or may not have anything to do with it. He didn't mention a low speed abs activation. Worn front hub bearings can do it, dirty sensors, etc. These trucks are also known to have cluster issues.

16. mcwlandscaping

Lol its a land surveying/engineering company! The driveshaft was definitely stolen....chad, your post made me lmao!

DBL, I'm on my blackberry now but will read through your posts when I get home. Thank you very much for your help!!! I really appreciate it!

Matt, the suburban will be a project vehicle that I've thought about doing for a long time and would have done to dads suburban but he wouldn't have been too happy about it lol! So its going to be a true personal vehicle!

17. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Not true. The tail-housing in the tranny will have fluid in it. Once you pull the yoke out of the trans then a small amount of fluid can leak out.

I've heard of people stealing drive shafts for the aluminum scrap. Too bad it's only like 15 bucks or so.

I've also heard of people stealing the catalytic converter and re-selling them.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Crazy I know Mike. The old saying used to be "they'll steal anything that isn't bolted down". Today that isn't the case, they'll just bring tools if it is. Shame it didn't roll away while they were still under it.

Don't worry about any of it, it's all caused by moving it without a rear drive shaft installed. Same with the fluid leak.

19. mcwlandscaping

Its unreal what people will steal. It wasn't even an aluminum driveshaft!! Every night on my way home ive been driving to the office to check on the others to make sure they don't meet the same fate!

There is no way in hell the driveshaft just fell out...my dad babies vehicles, especially ones that aren't his...and being that this truck has been put into four wheel drive MAYBE once per year since new, i think he would have noticed it wasn't there since he wouldn't be able to move!

Awesome to hear that i may only be dealing with some body damage!! I couldn't see how there could be anything else wrong with the truck being that it didn't hit anything hard at all but i had no idea (like usual!). Hopefully i wind up with this thing and can get my project started!!

On another note Mike, i'm catching up on our workload so i'll be getting the 97 in the shop soon to start looking deeper into the four wheel drive issues and will be getting you the wire colors shortly!!

Thank you for your help and advice as always!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

20. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You know Mike W., I'm updating my truck to the 03 and up style, I'll have the bumpers, grill, push plates....all of it off and ready for sale soon enough if your interested. We'd have to check, but I think it's all th same stuff.