1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck recommendation?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VTDave, Apr 23, 2012.

1. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

My plan: spend up to $10k for a used 3/4 ton gas truck from down south that's never been plowed and never seen road salt. Use it to plow my private road and also occasionally for construction/landscaping. Maybe 4,000 mi per year plus 10 hard pushes with the plow per year. I will hang a plow on it myself. The $10k budget is for the truck only.

I'm looking at Chevy/GMC 2500s and Ford F250s. Reliability is key. What model years and motors do you recommend? I don't have a warm place to do repair work in the winter, so I'd like to avoid models that eat alternators, wheel bearings, trannies...

Thanks,
    Dave

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well,,if you plan on plowing with it,,,you will be working on it in the winter. I don't care what make you get,,,parts break anytime, and for any reason and at the most inopertune moment. What dealer support is in your area? How are the parts and service pple? How mechanicaly inclinded are you? These are some other q?s to ask/answer

3. dieselss

Also what kinda plow you thinking bout getting? Weight of plow might play a factor in truck purchase

4. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

I'll be putting a BOSS standard duty straight plow on it. In terms of mechanical ability, I'd rate myself 7 out of 10. I'm comfortable swapping out an alternator, replacing belts, wheel bearings, brake lines/hoses, etc. I'm pretty good at electrical troubleshooting. But for an engine rebuild or tranny swap, I'd go to a pro. My issue is I'd like to spend as little time under the truck when it's -10F as I have to. I know preventative maintenance is key, and I'll do plenty spring/summer/fall.

I can get BOSS/Fisher parts easy. Ditto for Ford and GM truck parts. I'm lucky to have some good supply places within 15 miles.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. dieselss

I would have to say that gm parts are cheaper then Ford. The only thing that I don't like bout gm is they stop making certain parts after 10 years, like crossmembers and main parts that you cannot get aftermarket. As far as the years you looking for, I know there was threads about gm frames cracking. Gms are a little easier under the hood to work on but if you remove a few extra items so are Fords guess it depends on what truck you find at the right time

6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

chevy all the way. i've had fords and chevy's and cost of up-keep has bee lower with chevy's. plus when fords breakdown its usually bad.

chevy's can interchange lots of parts too. all the suv's with 6.0's will swap parts to the trucks too.

7. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

Thanks for all the input. I'll start looking around for 6.0 gas 2500HDs, probably 2005-ish, without cracked or rewelded frames!