1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Rear Axle Was Loose - Can Running Chains Cause That?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by darryl g, Mar 14, 2011.

1. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I noticed oil on the passenger side rear tire of my 2003 Silverado 2500 HD and figured I had a blown axle seal. The truck only has 42K miles on it. I sent it into the shop for that and some other stuff and the shop says my rear axle was actually loose.

I was wondering....I ran chains on the rear for 2 storms. Is it possible that the rough ride of the chains created the problem? I did run it for a bit on wet pavement toward the end of my route for a 20 inch storm.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Hard to believe the chains would cause it
  3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Don't believe.

Most it come from CLOGGED axle vent hose.

One of my F250 have broke shocks and it been bounce hard and it not ever leak like that so I don't think chain would do.

When I buy used trucks I see tons rear axle leak because axle vent hose is clogged by salt, mud, C clip squeeze hose to flat.
  4. Milwaukee

By way plow truck is HARDER on rear axle.

I end replaced whole rear axle on 95 F250 with only 70K it was abused from tons back/forth.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Try putting oil in it. Usually helps their life span. :D
  6. Milwaukee

It already have oil so don't tell me how to care. Tell that to first owner or company.

diff is worn out from spin in snow and rev while shift R to D. :dizzy:
  7. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

The winter was especially hard on plow trucks here in the northeast. We had a couple of extreme events that ate transmissions and differentials. All I picked up were some scractches and dings and a lot of brake wear. I do really miss having a sliding rear window...backed into a tree and a stone pillar.

Ok well thanks for the replies. Just seems strange to me that my axle would loosen up like that and I thought maybe the vibration could do it.
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Coulda been a tree or stone pillar impact.........................just saying:)
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's common for a new truck to loosen the rear axle to the spring- the u bolts will loosen, but the internals.. no. Chains will not cause any appreciable difference as long as you're driving properly with them on - tight chains and slow speed.
  10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

11. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

its a chevy say no more