1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I am not new to plowing, just took time off. Im thinking about getting back into it and wanted to get some opinions on trucks

What ever I get it is going to be diesel and auto and either a crew cab or extended cab 4x4

I have always leaned toward ford, but I see alot of dodge and chevy also

What are the pros and cons of each?

I have heard to stay away from the ford 6.0 and I heard dodge's had bad trans for plowing?

Im looking to spend around $15,000 for a used truck and then getting the plow installed most likely a boss v either 8.2 or 9.2

2. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

I run only Fords due to them being so well built and lasting for ever. In my experience Dodges' due have trans problems when yo get over 80k on them. My personal work truck is a 99 F-250 SD extended cab 4x4 short bed with a 8'2" Boss V. It's big enough to haul and handle just about anything and still be vary manuverable it tight spaces.I had a dodge in the past and I never wasted the money putting on a plow.

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't plowed with my for yet, but I see a lot, and I mean a lot, of them around here. You don't see too many dodges. Other than mine of course. But, I talked to a mechanic and he said to stay away from the 6.0 liter like you said. Once you hit close to 100k, stuff starts to go wrong. The 7.3 is the way to go. Also, you may want to think about Western! lol jk:rolleyes: I don't mean to start a brand war......:gunsfiring:

4. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

uh oh here we go again................. hopefully i can end the huge debate it will be overall a personal preference alll of them have pros and cons. It will all boil down to what you like

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You cant go wrong with a 7.3 ford. GM and Dodge suck! LOL

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:realmad: They aint neather! :nono:
    YoU TaKe taHt BcaK.

Dgdoe Is The Baets the raesT ScUk!xysport

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  7. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

NICE!!!prsport

8. Scenic Lawnscape

I really want to go with a 7.3 f-250 extended cab around the 2001 to 2003 year

I was told by a few different places that I would have to stick with a straight blade no bigger then 8 ft, I want to go with a 9.2 v plow would I be ok, or am I pushing it(no pun intended)

the plow would be off the truck when it is not snowing, i would only put it on if I was going out

9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I believe thats prety big plow for a 3/4 ton truck...you might want to re-think it.

10. Scenic Lawnscape

the other one I was looking at was the blizzard 860 speed wing it weights 778 pounds

11. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

Ford 7.3l is bullet proof it can not be beat. The boss 9'2" V is pushing the limits by alot. You have to see what the trucks front suspemsion can handle. I have the Boss 8'2" V with the boss plow wings and that is within the limits of my F-250 and ends up as big or bigger than the 9'2" V. Blizzards, Westerns and Fishers are all the same plows and are good. It's personal choice though.

12. JohnnyRoyale

I was kidding about the truck thing. An 8.5 Western V would suit the truck fine. I have them on all my 250's.

13. JohnnyRoyale

I'll have some of whatever he's drinking! :drinkup:

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

fyi the 8,2 with wings is almost 10ft and it weighs more than the 9,2.
    A 3/4 ton will handle a 9.2 just fine. if it's properly equipped
    heck guys run v plows on 1/2 ton trucks;)

Cmoe on oevr and we btoh will:drinkup::drinkup: a few

15. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Just remember whatever you buy they will all break they will all need repairs. There is not truck out there that is immune to problems.