1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Purchase Chevy 3500 chassis/dump 4x4

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bel-nor, Jul 29, 2012.

1. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

Gentlemen I will probably purchase a Chevy 2012 3500 WT 4x4 w/8ft dump bed short whl/base. This will be used in conjunction with the mowing business. What is your opinion as to using this vehicle a a Snow Pusher. We have not got a lot of snow in St Louis over the past few years, but I am considering a Plow. Thanks for your imput.

2. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Looks good.That is one awesome snow rig. Whats the gvw? What the front axle rating? Is it a gas or diesel? Rear gears? Nice rig,what kind of dump on it? Will push alot of snow w/ an expandable plow. Western, Blizzard ,Fisher. Also a nice electric tailgate salt spreader would help. Good luck.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. rhyan6

rhyan6 Member

We have a 08 chevy3500 with dump and a 9' 2" boss vxt and its hard to slow it down. it has the 6.0 and love it
  4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Looks Good!!! Make sure you have the snow plow prep package. Some guys on this forum do not like to put plows on Chevy trucks because of the front torsion suspension. Not hating or thread crapping. Just putting that info out there. Good luck with your purchase.
  5. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

The truck does have the Snow Prep pkg,4:10 rear, GVWR 13,200, gas engine 6.0 and extra heavy frontend for plows. The dump is Knapheide. The price is about $29,000 with all discounts/2012
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure you can run any plow you want on there. I have a 07 same style with a Western MVP Plus with the Western wings. If you have a lot of wide open plowing you might want to look at a expanding plow.
  7. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Is that a used 2012 or new? either way I think thats a great price.
  8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Go for it ... especially with the snow plow prep package !!!!
  9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I think chevy is a good plow truck. The only issue I have is that the plow generally mounts lower to the ground compared to Ford and Dodge. This is a disadvantage for pushing over curbs, etc. I run blizzard lo pros and like the combo.
  10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

With the all new frame,suspension,and a host of other beefy improvements that started in 2011 in GM's HD line up,adding a plow would only make perfect sense if you could use it in your business. Good luck.
  11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've only plowed with 3500's rated at 4800lb FAWR's and had few problems, the new rating at 6000lbs on that truck should squash your hesitation.... nice truck.