1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Problems...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DSLND, Dec 23, 2008.

1. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

So I have owned my truck for almost a year now, and I will say, I love it, but it keeps having problems.

1/1/08-Battery (No big deal at all, but you need to know that later in the thread)

6/22/08- Power Steering Pump-went out at 110k miles if I remember right

9/10/08-Radiator Hose Connector. It was a really dumb break, I could have fixed it myself had it not beed as complicated as it was. I can get pictures of the part if you would like.

12/6/08-Battery was shot, got a new one under warranty

12/20/08-Power Steering Pump again. Mechanic said he found metal shavings in the pump, says power steering booster may need replacing soon. He said to wait and see how the new pump does.

12/20/08-Tried to take the truck home from the shop, dead. Battery is shot again. It has a Titanium battery in it, which people say to be junk, but I really haven't had much experience with them. We did check the battery, and it is only holding a charge for a matter of hours.

Please Note: We did check the alternator, it is fine.

And that is where we are at now. I have a truck that went through two power steering pumps and two batteries in less than a year.

Is this normal? Or do I just have an unreliable truck?

I really can't rely on a truck that is breaking on me on a weekly basis to run a business with. Not to mention next year I am going to start plowing snow.

Here's the specs. on the truck:

'99 Chevy 2500
    364; 6.0L V8
    115k Miles

Thanks

-Mitch-

Truck-Mowers 002.jpg

2. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Sorry dude that truck is crap I'll give you $10 for it and won't ask anymore questions.

Seriously I wouldn't blame the truck. It sounds like 2 distinct problems 1) get a different battery altogether. 2) the first replacement pump was crap to begin with.

If the mechanic is the constant with all these weird problems find another one asap.

3. atasteofnature

atasteofnature Junior Member

i have noticed my 2000 chevy 2500 has just hit its 100,000 mile mark and everything is going wrong with it. power window broke, battery crap, tailgate handle, fuses left and right, etc. I am looking on getting a new truck. I hope your problems are past but good luck with future.

4. DSLND

DSLND Senior Member

I had a lot of those problems when mine hit 110k. Tailgate handle, extended cab door handle, keyless entry, etc.

-Mitch-

5. dsc

dsc Junior Member

I've got 125k on my 04' dmax, try a little love and preventative maintenance.

6. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

You know what the real problem is Mitch? It's a chevy :)

7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Is the battery discharging itself sitting on a bench or is it still connected to the truck?? You could have some sort of parasitic drain pulling that battery down..

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I got 130K on the same truck and no issues other than routine maintenance. I wouldnt say the truck is junk at all. Shyt happens and you just go on. But like what was stated earlier, I would try a different mechanic. He could be using shyt parts in the truck or not doing his job properly. Not all mechanics are as honest as they make themselves out to be:gunsfiring: