1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TRUCK problems??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by alternative, Feb 27, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

replaced my radiator this weekend on my 92 Gmc Sierra 3500 350 4x4 .. and while taking the hoses and fittings off, i broke the Upper oil cooler line. Cant find one anywhere, and snow is coming. Some places told me it was a dealer ony item, and would prob. have to order?? what? i need this truck running asap. Can i just replace the oil filter adapter, and delete the oil cooler line. or what are my options and how hard is this part to get. Anyone know?
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

ALT if I remember right the oil filter adapter just bolts on where the oil filter goes. You should be able to unbolt it from the engine block. It's a shot in the dark but maybe after you take the bolts out this adapter for the oil cooler will unscrew and the new oil filter screw's back on there in it's place. These were a problem area for GM truck's of that era. It's been awhile since I have work at the main assy plant that build's the full size GM trucks here in Pontiac MI but that's what I seem to remember.

Hope this help's Mike
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If you unbolt the "sandwich style" oil cooler adapter and pull it aside or remove it for the time being, you can bolt a regular chevy oil filter adapter (two bolts) right in its place.

ANY small block chevy from the mid 60's on will have this part on it. Beg, borrow, or steal one and put your filter on it. This will get you up and running until you can get a new hose.

Good luck!
  4. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

Got a new o/f adaptor. Hey derek, did you say this is a temp fix. Can i just leave the new adapter minus the oil cooler. The dealer said it shouldnt be a big problem.? just curious if i really need the oil cooler.??? thanks
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, sure you can leave it off. But since your truck is already equipped with an oil cooler, I would just wait until springtime and change the hose. Remember that a plow truck can use all the cooling it can get! The cooler adds capacity to the system as well (a bonus) and don't forget that oil breaks down when it gets hot, so keeping it cool is cheap insurance against future engine problems.

I added a factory auxillery oil cooler to my truck this season (off my parts donor truck). That coupled with the large-capacity filter (off GM's medium duty truck line) gives me an oil capacity of almost seven litres. Good thing since I toasted a valve seal and cylinder #5 is eating oil like it is going out of style!

If the truck is in good condition and you intend to keep it for a while yet I would invest the couple of dollars in a new hose and install it at home.