1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck problems?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alternative, Feb 21, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

was plowing last night when all the sudden the plow started moving real slow. and check fluid - full. batt guage was up - got worse as time went on. So i thought the battery may be weak> check it on a cheap tester. was slightly weaker than the other (of dual batteries) Went to a friends shop ( mostly work on plows) but did a load test and said Alt. was going bad. Ok now it 2am and noplace open for an alt. So i drive back to the city, noticing my batt guage is now real low (near 9amp) drove freeway for about 10 minutes with no access. on. Get to shop and alt is up and plow seems to work fine. I finish the night -Taking a gamble(but watching that guage) and its ok . What the heck was the problem ?? Truck 98 Chevy 6.5 diesel
    Plow 00 Boss V 9-2
    PS -- alt and batteries were replaced two years ago
  2. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Voltage regulator

Im thinking a voltage regulator, but just a guess. Yours is probably built into the alternator, so you would need a new alt. anyway. Next time it snows, have one in the back seat.

3. alternative

Good idea. Ive been meaning to get a spare. Just today looked over the whole truck and found that my rear flood (salt light) wiring was broke (wire hanging) do you think this could have any thing to do with the prob.?? Short?
    REmember-- after driving back from the repair shop, 15 min later, truck seemed fine. Batt guage went to 12-14amp and plow was working smooth. Used remainder of night, and today it still works. Im going to reconnect the spice for the wire to the rear flood now. Let me know your thoughts.
  4. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

i guess the wire could cause the problem if it was dead shorted to the bumper. i would hope there was a fuse in line to pop before that would cause a problem. if there is no fuse its a good way to fry some wires. how is your sanding lights hooked up, check for a fuse on the circuit. if it is fused i doubt that was the cause of you low charge. most likely regulator in alt going south.

5. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Clean your ground cables real good and make sure they are tight I bet this is it!
  6. alternative

oh yea . forgot to tell you. The battery cables on Aux. battery were warm/hot and that was the battery that was reading lower on charge?? anything to concern over? will tighten and clean tomorrow.
  7. E&B

E&B Member

Take your truck into a car wash. raise the hood and blast out the alternator with rinse water from the pressure washer before you buy a new one. Salt build up in them and you can loose power. Don't do it with the engine very hot or you could crack the block.
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if your aux. battery was hot and so were the wires then i would check the + wire coming from the main battery. check that it is not cut or corroded. it sounds like it may be limiting current flow to your aux battery. Also go over all the ground wires on your truck. You might want to get a multi meter and see if anything is drawing alot of current with the truck off to see if there is a short to ground. electrical problems can be a nightmare.
  9. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Wires hot

If the wires to the battery were hot, that means that either ALOT of current was flowing through (charging battery cause batt would hold charge) or there was something drawing a butt load of power requiring the batt. to be charging alot.(shorts will draw a lot of power). Or could be that the volt. regulator is starting to go, allowing the alternator to overcharge the battery. I am no mechanic though, so others would want to either prove or disprove me. I just figured I would throw out there.

Hope it helps,

10. alternative

Thanks. i did have alot of acces. on (radio/heat/wipers/plow) and occasionally salter. I belive all these are on the aux battery. Problem here??
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

no problem unless you don;t have the proper (big enough) cable from the aux batt. Alt brushes can stick in the holder causing the alt to stop working for a time then all of a sudden work again. Happened to my dodge off and on for over a year till the alt finally died in the big New England Blizzard this year.

Check all of your connections, clean all terminals, check the h20 in the batts and get a spare alt just in case. Sounds like it could be the regulator as mentioned already, but usually they end up causing the alt to cook pretty quickly.
  12. alternative

Thanks.. gonna get a backup alt. right now. i have a 90a on now. Can or should i go bigger? guess it has to fit? 6.5 turbo diesel Gm
  13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

What I recommend is get a new alt., bigest one you can get and install it right away. Take the old one to a re-builder and get it fixed if it is cost effective. Then keep old one for spare. You don't want to be trying to change an alt. in a snow storm at 3 in the am. When in doubt rip it out.
  14. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

just had a similar problem with my truck (basically the same truck). i had a post on it about the plow drawing a lot of juice. i took all the wires off both batteries, and used a dremel to clean both sides of all the auxillary wires and also the terminals on the battery and the main positive and ground cables. i the put a very light coating of dielectric grease (the tube that BOSS supplies when you buy the plow) to all of the wire ends and terminals before putting the back on. I also cleaned up the positive and negative terminals on the plow and at the quick disconnect, and coated with the grease again. The works faster than ever now, and very minimal draw on the system.
    On another note, when i noticed my problem i took it back to my dealer who also happens to be an auto electric business. i have a 105 amp stock alternator, which i believe is what yours is also, not 90 amp. now i would trust these guys with anything of mine, because they've been around a long time and run a very reputible business. he said the stock alternator is plenty of power. in fact they only run 74 amp alternators in the trucks they plow with and have no problems. i originally wanted the biggest alternator i could get, but he told me, and even called other shops for me, and said that the higher amperage you go, you lose it on the lower end, meaning at idle. so you're better off with a stock voltage alternator.
    after all of that, i hope you get back in shape. i hate having problems like this and i'm sure you do too. also if you haven't already have your alternator load tested to either rule in or rule out that part of the system. but most important do the connections, i learned from it and will always keep them clean from now on.
  15. alternative

sounds good prefab. i will do this tomorrow and get a new alt. What are your suggestion on rebuilt vs new? anyone? thanks
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Rebuilts are fine. AND depending on where you get your rebuilt you may have little choice of what you get. My Dodge came with a 136 Amp alt with the Diesel and snowplow prep. Stock is 120 (I think)- all autoparts stores carry is a reman 120, no 136's and they don't list anything else. If I want a 136 I have to go OEM from a dealer. Well, I went with what I could get at 7pm on a Sat night in a snowstorm (like I had a choice) and it turns out they rebuild all the alts the same (for mine anyway) and the same one replaces for all dodge rams and dakota- each alt is tested after rebuild (sticker on it gives you it's results)- mine tested to 176A.
  17. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

im not to familaiar with boss plows but all my westerns have suction filters on them in the fluid resiovor attached to the pump. when ever my plows slow in all functions thats where i go first and usually the culprite. also if your fluid is contaminated theres a good chance that the packing in one of your cylinders may be bad. give it a look. Tony