1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck problem??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by WIPensFan, Feb 23, 2010.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

98' chevy 4x4 Automatic with 454. Ran fine this morning, but when my guy brought it back after his route, it wasn't running worth a sh!t. When it's in park it runs smooth but when you shift to drive or reverse it seems like it wants to miss and almost quit running. I guess the best words to descibe it is it sputters and shakes when driving. Anybody have a clue as to what is wrong? Keep in mind I'm not this guy!:mechanic:

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Holy cow where to start. Any check engine light? Vac leak, fuel issue, ignition issue. Have the intake gaskets ever been done.

3. WIPensFan

No check engine light. Seems to only run bad when put in gear. It really shakes though. Any body want to take a guess? It's at the dealer right now, they will call when they look at it.

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Your gonna be broke by the time it's fixed, dealers are major gougers, (worse than plow drivers) at least around here they are

5. WIPensFan

Yes, but it must get fixed. This truck has made me a ton of money over it's 12 year career.

6. ajslands

I checked the Internet, and only found one site so far and guy had same problem, check your spark plugs

7. ajslands

My guess is that the engine is NOT fine. Is your idle speed set correctly? Automatics require a higher idle speed than an equivalent manual,and forgetting this will lead to exactly the problem you state you have.
    You see, unlike manuals, it is possible and in fact normal for there to be an RPM mismatch between the engine and the input end of the transmission. Whenever this happens, the engine wastes power churning and heating the transmission fluid. As a result, the engine is ALWAYS under load unless you shift to Park or Neutral, thus severing the mechanical link between the the engine and the wheels.
    Manuals sever this link all the time; that is what the clutch does. Since they often operate under the same no-load conditions that the idle speed is adjusted under, you don't need to add some RPM to compensate for load like automatics do.

I copied this from this sitehttp://www.answerbag.com/q_view/45112
    If, as you claim, the engine IS fine, then the problem is likely in the item that imposes a load on the engine when you put it into gear; the torque converter.

8. WIPensFan

Thanks for checking on it. I hope that is the problem, maybe a little tune up is in order. Don't want it to be major! I'll let you know what it was.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's no idle adjustment on that engine. Idle is controlled by the Idle Air Control, which is managed by the PCM. Could just be time for a full tune up if it hasn't been done in a while. Possibly a cracked dist cap or bad coil.

10. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

I've had that problem before and it turned out to be water/moisture in the distributor. Hopefully your problem is as simple.

11. IApushn

IApushn Junior Member

I had a problem like this on my 1990 chev and dad says that he has noticed that they have problems with the plug wires working off the plug. I thought that sounded goofy at first but I did have one that was loose and wasn't getting connection. Pluged it back in and was good to go.

Could be any number of other things, too. Just thought I would share my example.

12. WIPensFan

Thanks for all the imput guys. I'm not mechanically inclined, so when I look under the hood there better be a red flashing arrow pointing to the problem or I'm not gonna diagnose it right!:D Still haven't heard anything yet.

13. IApushn

IApushn Junior Member

Let us know what you find out. I am interested.

14. WIPensFan

Just got off the phone with the dealer and it looks to be spark plugs, dis. cap and coil(??) and new plug wires. They said they found a miss on the 3rd and 5th cylinder, with some crazy gaps on plugs. All those things were original and truck has close to 140000 miles on it. So.... $600.00 later and my truck should be back to normal, until next week when something else will go wrong.:mad:

They did a compression test and said that was fine.

Thanks again for all the input.:salute:

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, that's not a great testimony for maintaining your truck, but a heck of a testimony for the GM.

I think you'll be pleased with the difference in performance and economy.

16. WIPensFan

Well, you're right in a way. I try my best to keep my stuff running and looking good. With the work this equipment is put through and the conditions it is worked in, you have to expect repairs and expenses. Rust happens, things wear out and employees... well, they don't treat it like their own, because they never have to pay to fix it.