1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck problem...need help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProEnterprises, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

Okay, so this morning im driving on the highway, and all of a sudden my check engine light comes on and my speedometer drops down to zero. Truck does not stall or anything, but I pull over. First thing I check is the oil, and it is pretty low. I add a quart and the level seems fine.

I continue on the rest of my journey, truck seems to run fine, but the check engine light is still on. Also, the speedometer still stays at zero and the odometer has stopped ticking.

What is the problem. I am going to take it by AUTOZONE and have them run the diagnostic test.

ANYONE have an idea. Its a 1994 Nissan XE pickup.

2. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

If it has an electronic sending unit for the speedometer the engine computer could have sensed its failure and lit the check engine light.

3. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Yeah it does sound like a vehicle speed sensor issue. That will set the check engine light to come on also. It could be a bad speed sensor, wiring or connector issue.

Good luck

4. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Must be a chevy ??? their check engine lights come on if the wind blows backwards...... :eek:

Electronic dash ? Check fuse

5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

The problem is that it's a Nissan. If you're gonna drive 4wd - good ole US Steel is the only thing you should consider. The big three are the only ones that make 4wd that's worth a damm. I could plow better with a Big Wheel and a piece of cardboard than one of those Jap Traps. I'm not baggin' on you - but do yourself a favor and get rid of the Nissan and get a Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Good Luck - it's probably the speed sensor sending unit on the out side of the tranny.

6. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

the nissan does not have a plow on it, and i very rarely have it in 4wheel. i got it because i needed a vehicle which had a good track record for milage, and coudl still be used for wprl (aside from plowing)

try using a ford, chevy or dodge after 100K, lots of problems.

7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Not bashing the Nissan here. They and Toyota both make good stuff as well. Everyonr has their own personal preference and that should be respected here.

A friend of mine has a 1990 Chevy Z-71 4.3 V6 (not the best GM engine on the planet) and it is well past 360,000 miles (may hit 400,000 this year) and the driveline has never been apart. He is the original owner and the truck is well cared for. They are all good these days. Each has its quirks and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

8. trying to make

trying to make Member

one mans problems after a 100k is another mans excuse to upgrade.Thats how I got my stroker moter.The stroker moter is how i got my built tranny.The stroker moter built tranny and larger tires lead to the ring gear and pinion change.So while changing the gears How could I refuse putting in a locker.Wow sounds like a strange way of convinceing the old lady you need a locker lol.The point is what works for you is what you should do.

9. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

If its 4X4, the sensor youre looking for should be on the rear of the t-case, It sounds like the wire just became unplugged.

10. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

MY Nissan preforms as well as my chevy suburban and costs less to operate payup
    Both plow and I prefer the Nissan