1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck popping

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by mikes plowing, Oct 3, 2008.

1. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I have a 89 dodge ram charger, I parked it for about 4 months started it 2 days ago and its started popping. It was fine when I parked it. I just did a full tune up on it. I also called a mechanic I go to he told me with this new fuel if you let a car sit for a month or so the ethanol turns to water, Any one heard of this?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

not sure but ethanol is used to dry fuel.
    It would absorb water from the fuel.
    Was the tank full?

If not there could be a lot of condensation witch would explain water in the fuel.

A complete tune up and now it pops ?.
    I would take a look at the firing order you mat have a couple of plug wires in the right spot.

Did it run before the tune up or was it pooping before you did the tune up.

3. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

It ran good before the tuneup. I'm going to check the firing order to day. And no the tank was not full when I parked it. Just put gas dry in and ran it a little to mix it up. I'm checking on a fuel filter to it looks to be from factory. cap and rotor looked like it was never changed.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hate when problems are self induced. :realmad:

If it ran good before the tune-up then there's a very good likelihood that you did get the firing order off like SF mentioned.

To save you a trip to the manual the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

If you find that it is indeed correct, you could also have them all off one (or more) terminals in the cap. If your unsure you'll need to bring it up on #1 to see where it's at on the cap. You can then start there with your firing order.

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I may be as simple as just stale gas.

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

it could be stale gas. they go bad fast. My Uncle have 2 golf carts with monster lift kit. Gas tank alway have half of gas it 1 years old well it hard to start plus run weak. Clean 2 carbs and told him not leave gas or not fill to full tank then leave in storage.

You say it start then pop like backfired? Can you remove air filter so you can look at carb I know it fuel injector but do you see any white air or flame out it? It could be timing or bad coil.

My ex boss 3 years ago have one Ford tractor well not use for 4 months well now try start it run bad it backfired and shoot flame out carb it hard to keep run. Replace Coil now it work. That is strange.

7. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

thanks I'll have to check the coil, went to try it today turned on head lights parking lights came on but no head lights. have to look at that to.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

A full tuneup but the cap and rotor were never changed? Sorry, a full tuneup SHOULD consist of new cap and rotor.

I'd put my money on moisture in the cap causing it. Change these out and I bet your problem goes bye, bye.

9. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

got popping stopped

I got the popping to stop. I had 2 of the wires switched. Put them on where they were meant to be and it runs good. Still have the problem with the head lights. the guy at the parts store told me it's the dimmer switch. The bad part it is $80.00.:cry:

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I know your not stupid.... But did you cheek the fuses?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

This thing have a plow on it? If so thats where to start with the lights...namely how or where the plow lights are tied into the truck wiring. Don't rule out a critter that may have nibbled on the wiring as well.

You can jump the dimmer switch to rule it out also.

This thing have a plow on it? If so thats where to start with the lights...namely how or where the plow lights are tied into the truck wiring.

Bad head light switches/connections were far more common in those Dodges than the dimmer.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Those dimmers sure do get hot
    . He may be on to something
    "I hared" about a few that actually melted the dash.
    I think they had added lights to the circuit that were controlled by the dimmer.
    still worth a look/

:waving:B&B

13. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

When you pull back on the dimmer I don't hear a click. No I don't think this one will have a plow on it. How can you jump the dimmer switch to see if it is that. The book don't tell me that. Thinking of putting the on a toggle switch I don't us the high beam that much anyway.

14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Please don't tell me you are running E85 in an '89! Your fuel system is NOT designed for that and will not last long at all!

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the dimmer isn't clicking when it switches then that could very likely be your issue.

To jump the dimmer, jump the light green and violet right at the dimmer switch connector with the head light switch on...this should illuminate the low beams if the dimmer is dead. You can test the hi's as well by jumping the light green/black with the orange.

You could also first check for power into the dimmer from the head light switch with a test light. The light green is your feed in for lows, and the light green/black is the feed in for the hi's.

16. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I replaced the dimmer yesterday they were going to order me the wrong one, I did some checking and got the one I needed it was only $22.00. The one I needed was the one on the side of the steering column.