1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KFX450RXC, Jun 15, 2016.

1. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

I'm about to ask the age old question here: Which plow to buy?

Down here in NC, snow removal is a crap shoot. The past two years have been good. 3-4 events each winter. But we also could go 3-4 years without another flake.

I have a Meyer Drive Pro 7.6 mounted to the front end loader of my tractor. I also have a Polaris 850 with a 5' Glacier Pro. They have done me well but the snows we've had never exceeded 6". I have a dedicated customer and although that's good, it can be close to 200 miles to get all the businesses done. Dragging a 22' trailer with the tractor and the quad can be a little sketchy on snow covered roads. Its been 6" or less so I've been good. But what happens when we get one of those fluke 12" snow storms? Not to mention plowing on an open tractor and quad when the sleet's falling and its around 20 degrees is miserable. One time two years ago, I was plowing on that open tractor at 5:00 am in 5 degree temps.

This year I will put a plow on the F350. I'm not going to say money is no object but having one crew with one plow working a dedicated group of customers has to have the most reliable equipment I can have. So maybe yes, money is not the biggest factor. My guess is I'll have the truck with plow pulling a small trailer and the Polaris. The tractor will stay at home and be my back-up in case something goes wrong.

The dealership that installed my Meyer is 2.5 hours away. They are top notch but again, 2.5 hours away. They carry Meyer and Boss plows. Although they are 2.5 hours away, I think Meyer and Boss plows are reliable enough, I have a great chance of not needing service during the plow season.

There is a place about 45 minutes away that carries Buyers.

There is a place very close that carries Hiniker. Not sure how well they can service their stuff because I've not looked into the Hiniker brand too much.

Any advice from you northern pros would be appreciated.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

so one account has multiple locations that stretches 200 miles or is it many accounts that stretch 200 miles?

If it's the latter, you need a tighter route.
    If it's the former, you need tighter route.
    If possible, I'd also find a closer dealer, or try and carry as many spare parts at possible, you can have the best dealer in the world but equipment breaks when you need it most. Boss and Meyer make good products, but as mentioned they do break so if you're going stay with one brand, you better have the capability to repair it.

If your truck goes down, that tractor backup won't do squat on a 200 mile route. The best backup you can have is another truck.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've been using a Buyers 9'-6" V for four years commercially, and never had a break down or disappointment yet. Had several Westerns in the past, and a straight blade Hiniker. All have been good plows. That being said, you can get a Buyers for more than a grand less than any other comparable manufacturer's plows. It's your decision though. If you've had good luck with Meyer, stick with them, but a 2-1/2 hour drive to a dealer wouldn't be considered by me personally.

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I dont think where the dealer is really matters. Very rarely will they even have a chance to look at something during storm yet alone fix it. I would just stock common parts worse case have something over nighted. That's if you halfway mechanically inclined.

If you aren't, find a dealer closer in the middle of your route. Offer them a couple hundred cash on top of what they charge you to fix it NOW lol

5. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

200 mile route!? First off id stay in bed! Just Not worth it. Period. But, For Meyer Plows just make sure you have a working complete spare pump, a hose, plow shear pins, solenoid n plenty of Meyer M1 Fluid - Only, complete repair man with troubleshooting flowchart,n you'll be fine.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  6. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

Thanks all. I will look at each one personally before I buy.

As for the loop, there are two factors.

1. I maintain the grounds for these businesses. They are all one company. I guarantee them all snow removal. They guarantee me no competition. The price I send them is determined by me. They know I'll take care of them and they'll take care of me. They pay whatever I bill them.

2. This is NC. I'm a one man operation. Not too many snows and not too many snow pushers. Most businesses here just close up during a snow and the ones that have to be open usually have big operations handling their plowing. We may get multiple snows one year and then it may be 3-4 years before we see it again.

Yes, its 200 miles. But it usually takes me close to 24 hours but if you saw the bill, you'd agree to just tough it out.