1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck/Plow Rental

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PriorityCleanin, Nov 23, 2015.

1. PriorityCleanin

PriorityCleanin Member

Hello Everyone,

I just won a contract that I just don't have the trucks for right now. This contract was supposed to be awarded and started in January. Caught me by surprise, but it's a good problem to have. I'm trying to avoid buying/leasing new truck and plow. Does anyone know of rental places or even willing to sub out a truck? From VA

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just hire a sub?

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Lowest bidder ?:confused:

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Subscribed

image.jpg

5. PriorityCleanin

PriorityCleanin Member

no, this was just based on customer feedback. The client pre set all the prices for all sites. I had no input on any pricing. Amazingly the pre set pricing was more then what I charged at my hourly rate.

6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Not busting here but, you bid on a job knowing you do not have the equipment to perform the services. If it is going to pay as well as you say, just go buy a used truck and hire a driver.

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

So what was your plan if you got the job in January? were you going to get a sub or buy a new/used truck? I would just hurry up and do what your original plan was.

8. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

If you could find one, do you think it work out to be cheaper than just buying one?

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Hertz commercial truck rental might have something

10. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Do you see any planning here ?

11. Aero750

Aero750 Junior Member

what part of VA are you? I know where there is a truck already with a plow. I looked at it myself. Its a 08 F250 CCLB 6.4 diesel. I did not pull the trigger because of the 6.4 horror stories. Not sure what they are asking as soon as he said it had a 6.4 in it I lost interest.

12. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would rent my back up truck - $6000 down - with no monthly payments. I will just replace it. :)

13. jhall22guitar

Valid point. I forget people don't over-plan like I tend too... both a blessing and a curse.

14. PriorityCleanin

PriorityCleanin Member

The plan created was buying a truck first week in January and that was based on our jobs/taxes/funds we have scheduled and so forth. But United Rental has plow trucks to rent for a month for 749. I think I'll just have to pull the trigger a lot earlier then I expected and purchase another truck. But thanks for all the responses.

15. jhall22guitar

Take advantage of the sales this month. I believe (can't find the email to confirm) chevy and gmc are around 10k off sticker right now. Hell of a deal these days, and I'm sure you can try to get the deal a little better if you make it seem like you can get a better deal down the road.

Good luck!

16. PriorityCleanin

PriorityCleanin Member

thanks, let me ask you guys. The other 2 trucks I have are bought outright. Are there any benefits to leasing? Thinking about leasing seems better, just because every couple years you're getting a new truck, I've noticed maintenance is included with a lease as well. I do see the downside is the limit of driven miles, we would go over the 15k miles and would have to pay additional. Let's say you guys. Again thanks for all the responses.

17. jhall22guitar

How many miles do you average on your trucks? the charges for going over the mileage is pretty steep, and aren't most leases like 10-12K miles unless you pay extra?

Also, are they going to allow you to put a plow on the leased truck?

18. PriorityCleanin

PriorityCleanin Member

Last year I averaged on one truck it was around 13k and my other truck it was around 17k. I believe it's about .15 cents per mile extra and I believe standard mileage is 12k. The GM dealership near me, I know when buying you have an option to purchase a plow and they'll put it on. Not sure about leasing.

19. jhall22guitar

I would look into if they let you put a plow on, but i doubt they will. They are so picky about the leases because they want to be able to sell them later for a good value still. I looked at leases and saw prices for ever extra mile around .25. I average between 12-17k miles per year so I said no way just on the chance I have a 17k year.

20. PriorityCleanin

PriorityCleanin Member

I think I'll do that today. I pass by the GM when driving home. I'll let you guys know. I might explore a used truck as well.