1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck plow on skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by caterpillar246, Aug 19, 2009.

1. caterpillar246

caterpillar246 Junior Member

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and have question. I am the proud owner of 2002 Cat 246 skidsteer. I have been given an Arctic truck plow (almost new) It has the blade, springs, frame and angle cylinders. I want to adapt it to fit my skidsteer. Can anyone give me a list of materials I will need. Thanks very much!

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

1. Well stocked fabricator
    2. Blank check

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Or credit card:D

This not really difficult if you know what you're doing. If the fabricator has never done one before be sure there is a crossover relief (at least 3200psi but no more then 4000psi) in the angle system if you plan to use the SS hydraulics to operate the unit.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I put a truck plow on my SS. I made a ridge mount to the SS , some guys put a chain so the blade floats. You will need a universal mount for a SS. Put the blade and frame in the shop and level it, put the universal mount on the SS, add some bracing to the universal mount where it will hit the plow frame. I cut my plow frame so the blade would sit closer to the SS. Start welding. As far as the cylinders, run a hose from each quick connect to a cylinder, use 1/4 or 3/8 inch hydrilic lines and you will probly need a regultor to slow the montion down and your done. Hope you have an enclosed cab and heat for your SS.
    There have been several threads on this do a search.

Steve

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I would NOT have a skidder blade without a crossover relief valve, and you don't need a regulator to slow the blade down, all you need is a flow restrictor.

I built my blade to have both DP and float and it works well.

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a picture of a plow/skid design I've built a few times.

The list for the skid mount is as follows:
    - Quick attach plate.
    - 2"x5" tube horizontally at bottom with 6-(3 per side) 3"x 6" x .50" thick tabs welded on perpendicular to tube to accept pins from plow. The reason I have 3 per side is I made the original mount to fit the old Western Pro Plow I was going to use as well as the newer Uni-Mount that I had on my pick-up at the time. I was merely leaving my options open.
    - 2"x3" tube on diagnal for the chain.
    - 2- 2"x2" tubes on angle to support main tube.
    - All above is .250 wall thikness.

If you need a better picture, I'll see if I can find or take one.

Do a search for other mounts here also, as I've seen a few. I know for sure that Cretebaby has a few pictures of his somewhere.

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Nicely done:nod: Where are the crossover reliefs?

8. jomama45

Um, well, ahhhhh, lets see, I don't have one. I actually never knew about them until reading about them here last year. I will do a search here though, as I recal a few part #'s were listed here last year. It seems like a very simple addition & is well worth the small cost. Maybe you have a suggestion as to what & where I can get the reliefs?

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I am pretty sure I posted the part number from Force America if you want to search for it.

10. jomama45

I found a part # in that old thread. Thanks Crete! :drinkup:

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707