1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck/Plow Headlight Switch

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ford445, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Do you have to install the supplied switch that is supposed to switch your lights from truck to plow? If you just connect the two wires, will your truck lights work until you plug your plow harness in, and then the plow lights come on?

I have always used Fisher plows, and have switched to a Boss 8' T.E. Just wondering what the reason is behind not having a headlight switching system similar to Fisher.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No you need to use some type of switch...doesn't have to be the one Boss provides though. If you connect the wires directly together you'll only have plow lights, no truck lights.

And the auto switch deal on the Fisher's haven't always been that way...they used to have a manual switch too. :)

3. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks B&B, I knew Fisher hasnt always been this way. Does anyone know why Boss hasnt gone that way yet? Do you guys think there is an advantage to having the switch opposed to just plugging in and having them switch automatically?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The switch deal makes the electrical's much easier to diagnose and field repair for sure. Wiring design can be (and is) simpler as well.

Personally I prefer to have the option to choose between truck and plow lights if available.

5. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

The dealer was out of that Boss switch when mine was put on. So he used a toggle and mailed me the correct one.