1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Plow For Skid Steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Andrew Hardscape, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape Junior Member

I've found some old threads regarding using truck plows on skid steers. Some of the threads are really outdated, done before digital camers and cell cameras became popular!

I have an old Meyers plow and an old frame for pallet forks that I am using. Our skid steers do "float".

How bout your folks using truck plows on skid steers post some pictures and share your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks

A.H.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd make the plow a chain lift don't use the float on the arm of the skid. You will take too much weight off the front tires. Sorry no pics handy

3. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've done a few in the past few years, always on a chain. You should be able to search for quite a few pictures here, I know I put some up through the last few years as well as many others have. I'd re-post them now, but it takes too much work to rename them all in order to post them a second time here............

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

whatever you end up doing, post pics. I am on the same mission, just looking for a cheap enough quick attach plate or used attachment I can cannibalize.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I use an old 7.5' Meyer on the front of my skid and it works really well. The biggest issue I had was that the plow would angle so fast that it was dangerous. Someone on here suggested that I put a flow reducer on it and that's how I've had it ever since.

I could probably snap a pic of the setup if that would help someone.

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

The flow restrictors can be as cheap as a few bucks a piece, and you really should have a cross-over relief valve as well. Trust me, I learned the hard way.............

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

a good design i found was to buy an attachment plate, and just weld the attachment ears to it, and a hook for the lift chain. I do agree with the chain as the float, but what i would do is weld tubing across the a frame, so that you can "tilt" the attachment plate (same motion as dumping the bucket) so that it tilts towards the ground and comes in contact with the tubing, and thus you end up with down pressure for when you need it. also if your going to be taking the plow on and off alot, they make valve blocks that have pressure reliefs built in so the hydro hoses go on easy.

8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Flow Restrictors that I used started with a 1/8" hole in them, but have now been increased to 3/32". Seems to be the right speed for my standard flow Bobcat. $2 each

Cross over reliefs would be nice. Don't have them on mine and have been plowing hard with it for 4 years and only have 1 angle cylinder that will drip a drop or 2 every day. Which I think is due to one of those hard hits I have taken?

I cut the mounting ears off the A frame so that the A frame cross member would lay flush against the 5/16" thick mounting plate I purchased off E bay for $135.

Then welded 2 square tubes from the top of the mounting plate down to where the chain lift once hooked. This allows down pressure. Had it hooked up by chain, but didn't like it that way.

I like it so much, the thought of having to plow with a truck DOES NOT appeal to me anymore.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011