1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Pics

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MTCK, Nov 29, 2001.

1. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Sorry about the poor quality of the scans, I think my friends scanner is on the blink. I've used these things quite a bit and messed with the settings a lot, so please bear with me. There will be seven pics in this set.

This first picture is the truck in mostly stock trim, around 1996, judging by the age of my friends, and cookie cutter tires....

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I've found if you maximize your browser when the new window pops up it is an acceptable size.

This photo was taken after the installation of my tonneau cover, 2.5" lift, and new wheels and tires. Amazing what a huge difference a few things make.

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Another shot at the same time.

4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Slow Down!! December 1999.

5. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

This is the 1982 Diesel I bought for the body, which is actually in considerably better shape than the original one. A few differences are the diesel emblems, and the trim around the wheel wells, as well as a rear sliding window, AC, and power windows. I drove it for about 6 months before the swap, and had no problems except for a transmission. Truck had 160,000 miles on it, and got it dirt cheap.

6. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

4x4 with body removed, frame sanded treated and primed. This was a big project. Hardest part was lifting the cab onto the new body. Thank goodness for strong friends (took about 10 of us). That's me on the left, and Matt on the right.

7. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

This is where we are now. This was taken in August. Performance goodies added: dual 3" exhaust, flowmasters, edelbrock intake, carb, K&N, HEI vacuum ignition. Kept the 4 core radiator and the dual 1000 cca batteries from the diesel.

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Slow down!!! :eek: I'll say! My old truck has had some interesting encounters, but nothing quite THAT radical!

Interestingly enough, your photo of the frame stripped down is a lot like the way mine looked during the summer of '96, only in my case the cab & rear axle were the only things that stayed on.
  9. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

fine lookin truck!!!
    how long did it take ya to git it in that shape?
    looks like all the hard work paid off.
  10. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Thanks Speedracer. As far as total hours go, I have no idea, and probably don't want to know :) I started on it here and there when I was about 15, so 6 years and running. The first body was a little rough. My dad bought the truck new in 1983, so it was always taken pretty good care of, but had been in a few fender benders. I edjucated myself in the ways of minor body work and had it fixed up pretty good by the time the second and third pictures were taken. Then I rolled it, and that all went out the window. It was starting to get cancer in the cab corners, so I guess it saved me some headaches later :) Gotta think positive.

Then I swapped the diesel's body the next summer. That took about a month of prep work and dissasembly to the old truck, in the evenings and weekends, and about a week solid to put it back together. I simplified it a lot though. The diesel was a stick, and I just got a B&M Floor mount shifter for my auto tranny, all emmissions gone, Hedman headers, KC highlight backup lights, and a manual choke edelbrock carb w/ performer intake. Lost the electronic spark control also. To try to answer your question though, I have NO idea how long, but know that I have reciepts for at least about $8,000 worth of work not including the price of the diesel. That did include some repairs not related to the rebuild, such as rear end and tranny work. I also spit out a lot of front drive lines for some reason.

I'd do a lot of things differently if I could do it over, but I'm still pretty happy with where I'm at, and have a pretty good idea of where I want to go. Done playing off-road with it, I can't afford the parts :) I can't even to begin to to tell you how much I've learned. I could fill volumes. Lots of thanks to the guys on this site. You can bet you'll be hearing all about this thing for a while to come. Nothing more interesting than old trucks (some of you would argue, old trucks with snow plows I'm sure :D )