1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck parts problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by amandanealy, May 19, 2007.

1. amandanealy

amandanealy Junior Member

Currently own 1991 chev 3/4 ton 2500 w/ 305 v8 engine. Truck dies/stalls if it isnt being rev'd very high. Basically I cant move it from where it sits, because as soon as I take my foot off the gas it dies, and its nearly impossible to start. It turns over fine. I had it at the shop and they thought it was the battery/alternator. So today I had the battery, alternator, tensionor, and the belt replaced ($500) and its still doesnt work. It turns over now how ever. A friend suggested it maybe the timing, another suggested fuel filter or pump. I am not currently working and credit card is practically out of room, so I have to make the next step corrrectly...any help would be great with my truck parts.
  2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

305 engine??? or is it really a 350. carb, injector or hybrid?

fuel pump
    fuel regulator
    idle sensor
  3. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Did the truck turn over before the battery/alternator/etc? If so, you got ripped. If a vehicle turns over but doesn't start, the problem is almost NEVER the battery/alt/starter. Before you spend another dime, get a fuel pressure gauge and find out if you have pressure. If this is a TBI motor, then you should have 9-12 PSI. If it's a port EFI motor then it should have about 40 psi.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you don't have the repair manual go to the library and look at what they have. A bigger one will have them, you just have to ask how to get them.They will have a "No Start" check out for the vehicle. Most times you need a Volt Ohm Meter, vacuum pump and a pressure gage to check everything. The V.O.M. can do most of it. I would say it's a fuel problem, are you smelling gas when it's being turned over? The first step is to find out the pressure of the system, do you have spark, is it on time?. You could have a bad pump, a bad pressure regulator, a bad pump relay, bad connection's, idle air control failed, computer's failing, jumped time, bad ignition module,bad cap, bad coil, broken coil wire. Try to diagnose a problem, don't throw parts at it! Because when it ends up not being the problem you throw tools at the truck!