1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Overheating

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Joesno, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

i was wondering if any of you guys have problems with your truck overheating. I know that it is because my plow blocks the air from getting to the engine, but i was wondering if there are any tricks or if i need to purchase some add on to prevent this from happening.
    Any suggestions would be great.

2. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Welcome. Just make sure the cooling system is in top shape. What kind of truck is it?

[​IMG]

3. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i've seen pictures of devices on here (I also saw one in my area one time) that goes on top the of the plow. It looks like a tube that catches air and re-directs it towards your radiator. Some kind of hard plastic maybe?

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

When traveling for distances, like when you get on the highway, straighten your blade and drop it down low to improve air circulation. Other than that, it is an easy fabrication to make an adjustable wind spoiler to direct air over the blade and in to the radiator. Blizzard makes something like this, to get an idea, but you can make one better.

5. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

a friend of mine made one of these for his truck on year, just out of ducts from Home Depot. Wasn't much to look at, but got the job done.

6. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

Mnd lawn.. Its an 03 chevy 2500hd

7. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

I just went thru this with my 2005 (2500 HD) with 30,000 miles, 5 months out of warranty. The truck needed a heavy duty fan clutch, just as all the guys stated in their replys to my post. Go to Chevy Truck Forum to find my thread and read all posts. ( 2005, 2500hd, Gas , Overheating ). No problems since! Good luck. Post was dated 11/21/08

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  8. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

My 2005 chevy 2500hd kept oveheating on highway runs (15miles or more) even with plow angled and almost scraping. I had the heavy duty fan clutch put on and still no luck. I finally solved it when i sold it last year. Best truck i ever sold.:)