1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck overheating

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Weaves, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Weaves

Weaves Junior Member

Happy Winter, I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their truck overheating due to the plow blocking the airflow. Also, my climate control doesn't function properly due to the elevated heat level under the hood (the temp on my rearview reads 140 degrees) and the heater will not work on automatic. I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD with a 8'6" MVP Plus. This problem was also present last year with my 8'6" MVP 3. Is there something to put in the radiator to help with the overheating? Can the sensor be moved? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I'm sure this post in in the wrong section, but I have been following you guys for 2 years and thought this would be a good place to start. And yes, lowering the blade does work to keep it from overheating. It would be nice to drive without the blade scraping the ground on every bump. The sensors still do not function properly even with the blade lowered.
    :mechanic:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Drop the blade a bit and angle it to the right when driving down the road.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would go to GM and ask them what options they offered on that truck, that year, on the snowplow prep package. Look for things like a different fan clutch assembly and any other thing that would effect engine temperature, cooling and air flow. On my F550 they told me the original fan clutch had a different kind of temp sensor that would prevent the fan from engaging when the plow is blocking the air flow. The new "plow kit version" cost almost $700 but the truck never overheated again. I could hear the fan running when I was driving at highway speeds and that made the difference. You may also find that the plow prep package could not be installed at the same time as the climate control because of the air flow problem....

4. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Put a new fan clutch in and be done with it. They go bad all the time.

5. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

put a new clutch fan in it you will be good to go

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

H.D. fan clutch or the plow fan clutch from gm. Also make sure you have 7? Blade fan itself
    You can move the sensor under the hood as well.

7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

We put a new fan clutch on both our 6.0 gas GM and that took away the over heating problem. We did not relocate the outside temp sensor and it is still off but never up to 140.

8. Weaves

Weaves Junior Member

Thanks for the information. Sounds like an easy fix :) Any suggestions or re-routing the sensor? Where it's located?

9. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Is it gas or diesel? My duramax always had the same problem. A fan clutch didn't help at all. If it's a diesel, you will have to figure out a way to get more air flow into the radiator. The clutch won't help at all. Truse me. And with the mvp3, it will be even worse because of the larger wings. I had a hell of a time keeping mine from overheating.

10. GONZO911

GONZO911 Member

If your GM dealer looks up the part the number should be either 15710101 4WD 2500 and option LQ4/GT5/VYU or 22149877 4WD and option LQ4/GT4/VYU. The GM Bulletin number is 04-06-02-006A. Its listed under engine overheating. Happens with snow plow.

Hope this helps....