1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Overheating with plow!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rclay11541, Dec 4, 2004.

1. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

Hey guys,

My 86 F150 overheats when the plow is on it. Ive heard about these air deflector things but i dont want to spend money on something without knowing if it actually works.

If anybody has had this problem i would really like to hear how you fixed it.

P.S. The reason why i am posting this after reading the other posts on this topic is because i just replaced the fan clutch about 4000 miles ago.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Yeah with the plow up and going down the road there is no airflow over the radiator. Hove you tried bringing it down some or angling it full left or right and see if that helps.
  3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The whole purpose of the clutch fan is to force air thru radiator. The overheating is caused but either a fault clutch fan or the wrong calibration of the fan itself. Also consider truck it 19 years old and radiator core my be plugged up intenally to water flow aggrevating the problem. THe cure is not to drive down the road with the blade in correct "position". FInd the cause (it will be one of the two above) and fix it proper. You could alos consider using a different type of fan (flex or fixed) durring the winter as well to mainntain proper cooling.
  4. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

Chances are that radiator is a little clogged. Replace it, if possible one with one more row. If that's not the problem, try riding with your plow about 4 inches from the ground fully angled. it will hit the road here and there but you'll get more air. Also try just going a little slower. I always do about 55 on the highway to keep it cooler. I assume it's getting hot when driving? IF it's when actually plowing you do actually have a problem with radiator or something similar.
  5. Tarkus

I drive whatever speed I choose with blade as high as it will go with no heating problems because I make sure my cooling system works properly for my needs. If you have to lower plow and limit speed you are masking the real problem. Trucks are supposed to be able to do that stuff if properly designed or setup.
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

with a blade blocking the grille entirely going along at 45 mph or so when the clutch fan disengages there is virtually no air flow through the radiator

truck or car, if you block the air flow it will run hot
  7. Tarkus

Not if the clutch fan is calibrated properly. In my "trucks" I do not rely on direct air flow from motion to insure my cooling because if you do you will have heating problems with a plow on it. When you do you no longer have a true truck in my book but one of the car truck hybrids that is really neither. I guess I am just old fashsion in that I expect my trucks not to overheat when I use them winter or summer and they do as I want. The word "truck" in pick up truck used to mean something once.
  8. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

perhaps you could share with us how you calibrate your clutch fan ?
  9. Tarkus

Not a problem do you need a picture of it too? The hardest part is getting it on and off to do it.
  10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Get rid of the clutch fan and put on a direct drive fan. Such as a Flex Lite or similar stainless steel unit. If your truck doesnt over heat without the plow , I guarentee it will not over heat with a direct drive Flex fan with plow on.
  11. Tarkus

Yes this is always a option too and if you want you can put flex fan on durring winter and put clutch fan back on the rest of the year. Many years ago I used to hzve this old truck with a clutch fan and deep axle ratios that I pulled a heavy horse trailer with and durring the warmer month and would lose the clutch fan and put on a fixed fan for it to keep its cool on long hard grades because clutch fan would not stay in at higher RPMs. It was a little noiseir but it worked like a champ.
  12. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

First thank you all for your sugestions,

Here is what i have tried to correct the problem.

1. Putting an air deflector device that i made on the front of the grille, its basicly a big pice of plexi glass angled up. That helped very little.

2. Droping the plow as low as i dare and angleing it.

It still runs hot and thats when im doing about 35mph.

a new larger radiator for my truck is a good idea but since there are no more lawns to cut i dont have alot of cash flow. The idea of a flex clutch or fixed clutch does interest me quite a bit.
    My first question is have any of you guys ever had a problem with them? My concern is that the fan blades will actually fly off or something in the engine compartment, excuse me if thats a ridiculous idea ive just never used them before.
    My second question is how much would you guys say that helps cooling? ALOT, SOME?

Thanks to all who replied i really do appretiate you guys taking the time.

13. RAYJAY

RAYJAY Junior Member

did any one try to install a e- fan pusher type in front of rad . with a temp control on it .
    with the e-fan you can even get rid of the regular fan and save a few hp for better performance on truck

here is a picture with link

14. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

that is a good idea, however, this is strictly a work truck. So money is a big concern (im freaking broke, IRS problems, don't ask).

about the flex fan idea i found one at summit. If i under stand how this thing works i remove the old fan and clutch,,,install a 2 inch spacer and then bolt the fan on?
  15. RAYJAY

RAYJAY Junior Member

no with this type of fan you will install it in front of rad and set it up as a pusher type (push air thru the rad ) just leave the reg fan in its place
    2 eway to wire it in you can wire it with a switch to run as need (you judge or use one of the temp sensor with it to auto run as need .

here is a good link for you to read you can also get a12 fan out of a junkyard and mod it to work

16. Tarkus

Yes you are correct on install of this and if wold be the correct path and just for the record even a bigger radiator will not help as airflow is your problem. And on a electric pucher or puller fan they are okay as a suppliment but as a primary device they cannot move the same amount of air or provide as much cooling as a properly calibrated clutch fan or flex fan. To do so they would need to use more power than the altenator can deliver. Let us know how the flex fan works out for you. You do not need a really "nasty" on either if they have a few styles of them to choose from.
  17. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I would like to know and see the picture. I have never heard of such a thing. Fill us in..
  18. Tarkus

I will post a few pics later today after I figure out where kids have stashed the camera.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

have you tried lowering the blade or angling the blade for better air flow
    on my f-250 if it runs hot at high speed i just slow down
  20. Tarkus

As I have said before a truck is not a truck if you have to slow down or lower blade to stay cool. Fix the problem properly and use it as a truck.