1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck overheating on highway with plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Lasher66, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Hi,
    I am actually trying to help a buddy out with this one, but he has a 2006 dodge 1500 4x4 with a snowway plow. When he plows everything works great, but when he has to get on the highway to go to the next job his truck thermostat almost redlines it. We know that this is probably the plow blocking the wind to the radiator but we were wondering if there are any solutions to this. He already tryed lowering the plow a little and that didnt work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Keep the plow almost on the ground, literaly only a few inches off in order to get more airflow. The other thing that seems to help is to keep the plow angled rather than straight so that the air swirls in behind it to help for better cooling.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The truck must not have the plow prep package- talk to a dealer and find out what the plow prep cooling mods are and have them installed. Probabily different t-stat, different fan clutch and larger radiator. Plowing totally changes the demands on the cooling system so lowering the operating temp of the t stat and fan clutch will make a huge difference, as will a larger radiator.

Oh, and another thing- you're not supposed to drive at highway speeds with a plow on period. 45mph is published max speed for almost all plow manufacturers and truck manufacturers because the of the air flow changes and engine rpm at 55+.... read the owner manual for both plow and truck (or the warning sticker over the driver viser if the plow was pro installed.)

4. brian2transam

brian2transam Junior Member

I have the same problem your freind has and I also added a electric fan. I was wondering if you found out any information on this. Thank you

5. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

sorry, i cant help.

but not over 45mph? seriously? most of the main roads around here are 50! lol

i run 65-70 plenty with the plow, i wouldnt wanna be that guy causing wrecks because im doing 45 on a 65 highway.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

transport at 45, plow at 10 ...not that i follow those rules, but if your having a problem , thats a starting point

also, with truck beign a 1500 , it sits lower, and the blade, blocks even more if the raditor.

I know some guys mount a "sheild" on the lift arm of the plow, and it really does redirrect air to the radiator

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Running the heater at full blast will help, if it's cold enough to run around with the plow just open the windows and turn up the heat

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah right. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Big Dog has the right idea.

If that doesn't help, check into the fan\plow prep. Never heard of a different thermostat for the plow prep package. The fan usually kicks on earlier to prevent high temps. Pretty sure radiators are all the same size nowadays as well.

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

As others have noted, the simple issue is air isn't getting to the radiator...on my 2500 simply angling the plow to the side and running it full up is sufficient. I have no date to support this, but I would think that lowering the plow would potentially add to the problem at highway speeds because now nothing can get under it either and the plow acts like a big air splitter...in any position it will create a rather large bowshock that blows way up and over the leading edge of your hood, creating a region of low air pressure...raising the plow fully might at least let enough air in from underneath to help. Again, I ahve no useful data to support this, just picturing the wind tunnel effects in my mind's eye...which may need glasses.

The best solutions thus far though are upgrading the cooling system, driving slower and adding an airfoil to either the top of the blade or the headgear that will help redirect air down behind the blade.

10. Mark Oomkes

And there isn't any data to support your theory. It works, I've been dropping my plows for years if the truck heats up and it always works.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:Youv'e got strobes on your shovels?
    Dammm you are cool....:waving:

Sell your straight blade and get a Veee blade;) this will help allot.

I have found that running it as close to the ground is better than all of the way up.
    With the blade all the way up you are blocking your head lights too causing a lot of glare.

Run it low and angeled.
    How is your fan? Is the coupler working properly?
    Some do much better with a heavy duty fan coupler installed.

How many cores does your radiator have?
    A larger radiator may help.

OR,
    You can just drill a bunch of holes in the blade to let the air through.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Or buy a poly blade and remove the blade skin between jobs:rolleyes:

I haul blades around all year long. Normally a 8'6" snoway or a Snoway VEE. I play with the blade angles and heights. I watch engine temps and ambient temps according to the trucks thermometer. Angling never changes anything but the ambient temp. the engine operating temps stay the same. angle toward the side with the sensor temps climb sky high, on 85 degree days i seen it at 125/130F. Angle the other way temps drop maybe 10 degrees, stopping lowers it quickly. Engine temps run about the same regardless of the height i run the unit, getting in close to a tractor trailer will significantly raise the engine operating temps and no amount of blade adjustment seems to help to any great degree. However; turning on the heater will drop the temp quickly.

Most of this is done at highway speeds and never when it's snowing, mostly it's warmer then 50F, and most often sunny. I don't buy vehicles with-out plow prep so i can't comment on how that might effect these findings.

All in all the least expensive method of solving this is, don't carry your plow unless it's cold out, drive slower and/or run your heater.

Different blades with effect the airflow differently. The curvature, height, with or with out a deflector, the length, all play a part in the amount of airflow reaching the truck.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:The heater is always on hot and the fan is on....
    I adjust the cab heat by opening or closing the windows..

I have don't have this over heating problem and I run at highway speeds or at 3mph with any of my trucks straight blade or Vee blade.
    (all plow prep)

I too have a temp sensor.;)
    All the way up seams to be the hottest...
    Running it low and angeled to the opposite side as your air intake is can make a difference. as to the engine temp.....

I wonder what temp thermostat he is using?
    How old is the coolant?
    Is the cooling system dirty?

14. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

since it is a snoway blade if you use the cylinder clamp and drop the blde on the cylinder clamp it is usually at the right height also angle the plow it will get you better airflow

15. Mark Oomkes

I've tried the heater\fan on high with limited success. Dropping the blade has been the best method for me.

Assuming (as SF pointed out) the cooling system is functioning as it should be.

16. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Just curious at this point. To everyone who runs their plow low to enhance cooling, do you also angle it at that point? Just trying to figure if the angle has a great er effecet on cooling than the height. When I brought my plow home I ran it up and straight for awhile until I noticed the temp was right near the red zone. I angled it and the temps dropped fairly quickly to slightly above what I get with no blade at all.

So do you run it up and straight and move to down and angled or any other combination?

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I guess the pump in front of the grill is better because the new Snoways are like that.:drinkup:

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No I think the trucks will run hotter:yow!:

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, just giving you a hard time. I think keeping the pump and stuff, up and out of the way, is a good trade off fo ryour truck running a little hotter. I've actually never had a problem with over heating with our diesels but some of our gas trucks woulsd over heat on warm days.