1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck or utility tractor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by farmerkev, Jan 9, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I will not be plowing for another 2 years when I can get insurance, because I DONT want to plow without proper insurance. The truck that it looks like Ill be buying wont push a plow, but is at a nice price, but I am entertaining thoughts of buying something like a John Deere 990 or 790 because I would see summer use with it. And in the winter I could get a box plow like for a skidsteer, when I get the truckplow, it would be great for cleanup. I will not be looking for any plowing accounts far away, and think this might be a decent idea. Any opinoins out there.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

what truck are you getting? they make alot of plows for alot of trucks?

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

The truck is a 1992 (I think, cant remember, but early 90's) F-150, 4spd, no 4wd, and rusty bed. The truck gets around fine on its own in the snow, but I dont think that would be the case if it had a plow on it, I could put a small one on it(probably), but by the time I can be insured I will be looking at a new truck, and/or one of the loaders. The truck has under 100k on it, its my friends friends dads, and I was in it last week, and man, it still has some balls. He is asking a $1200 and id probably offer $1000, but I would pay $1200. But the loader, might be a better money maker and I have experience around tractors from being on the farm.

It is not a for sure thing, but I know the seller and plan on looking at it for sure in the spring.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If your going to plow with a tractor. A JD 790 or 990 is not a good choice by any means. I personally would get something with a hydro tranny. Been there and done that with a tractor, with loader and manual tranny. Started out plowing with a garden tractor with a stick, Then started using a JD 5210 at an old job to plow driveways with if, i plow their lot with it too. After about 4 hours ur left leg will fall off. Plus shifting, running the loader control and turning the steering wheel is a lot of fun with just 2 hands. You really need 3 to work fast.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Don't get a 2WD truck it's not worth the money. I second itsgottobegreen. Plowing with a stick and loader is not fun. I've done it a few times with my buddy's tractor and it's a real workout. Look for a good hydro tranny. Get a cab too because it's going to be cold. I know from experience.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Don't buy your friends truck. Save up to get a 4X4. Then you can just buy a plow when the time comes.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well I suggested find old tractor with loader is best than now.

For hydro on tractor are good but not that job what he want is way big job which will strain hydro transmission then overheat.

Hydro transmission is best for pull thing in lo gear not hi gear plus it will not be good when try mow or thing that is dust then you will must wash hydro transmission then check those plastic fan to make sure it in good shape.

Many time people ask me check their tractors because it make whine or stop moving. What I see it full of dirt on it so we wash then drain oil it was sludge oil so we put new oil now it work best again.

And for tractor with manual stick will not hurt your leg if they didn't set right with tension on clutch. My ford 601 with select on speed is best thing why no clutch to change speed just shift from 1 to 10 speed.

Gear transmission is actual heavy duty than hydro tran plus gear tran are easy to fix plus not cost lot to fix but hydro tran is so expense.

I will look for you a good tractors

8. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Hey farmerkev, where are you in Minnesota?

9. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Lawnenforcer, I am in Saint Paul.

I am thinking that I will buy a truck, and in two years, just buy a better plow truck when I can afford a nicer one, but for now, it would get me around. The tractor is still a ways into the future (Im only 16). I dont want anything larger but I do want a John Deerewesport. If I plow snow with a loader, I assume I still need commercial insurance, so Id wait two years on that also. I would like to buy a used loader, what other suggestions do you have on a model? I would have two more summers of work behind me and I earn more every year, but remember, I am just starting and cant but a new $20,000 dollar loader. I should stick with a truck, but a loader would do more work (and be more fun)!!!xysport

10. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

First off, plowing with a JD 790 or 990 won't be any more of a PITA than using a larger AG tractor. I would recommend the cab for sure.
    As far as ur leg falling off, it'll only happen if you aren't used to using a clutch- but you're a farm kid, i know you're used to it!
    Also, after years of use a manual transmission will cost you less. A clutch can be purchased for a few hundred and with the loan of another loader tractor, you could have that clutch done in a day or two instead of replacing a hydro transmission. (not like those economy tractors have hydraulic clutches or anything.)

-Mike

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Acctually Tractor Plower, I am not a farm kid:(, I live in a city, but spend all the time I can in the summer on my relatives farm in WI. I do plan on owning a small farm, and will never own a house in the city. I have drove (my favorite) the JD 4010, but spend most time on the AC WD45. I figure it woudnt hurt to bring a little green into the city. I know people on here plow with manual trucks, why not with a tractor? I am now leaning more towards the tractor and a plow truck. Loader first and then a plow, loader can clean up after plow does work, but I think a loader would do just as much work as a truck.

I think I would put a ProTech pusher utility model on it, that would be pretty efficiant for driveways, and if I had a decent truck and a larger trailer, I could pull the tractor and widen my area. How fast could a tractor like that go, Ive never tried this on the farm.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  12. SLS007

SLS007 Junior Member

Hi farmerkev.
    I've started a new property maintenance company this year and I'm trying to use a Kubota compact tractor for residential snow clearing work. I can give you some real good first hand advice which I wish I had before leasing my equipment.
    1) GET A CAB! This is non-negotiable. If you plan to spend extended periods of time out in the cold weather clearing driveways you will need a cab or it will get very tiring, very fast.
    2) Instead of buying a 3pt snowblower I wish I had invested in a loader and a good sized 3pt blade which can be used to push or pull snow. Clean up of piles can be done with the loader.
    3) If you plan to do any significant amount of snow work invest in a tractor that has a reasonably good road travel speed so that you can drive it from site to site rather than hauling it around on a trailer. Loading and unloading equipment from a trailer and securing the load property (very important) take valuable time. If all your work would be close by just drive the machine from site to site. Also cuts costs of running a tow vehicle and purchasing a trailer.
    Hindsight is always 20/20. Be careful before purchasing or leasing expensive equipment. Make sure you've got the right tool for the job. With the right equipment you've got a lot of options open to you.
    On another note, I know that John Deere lovers bleed green but keep an open mind because I found the JD prices to be very high on new and used equipment.
    The great thing is that you've got time to plan and you're definitely looking for information in the right place.

SLS007

13. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Congratulations on passing TRACTOR SNOWCLEARING 101 from the school of hard knockstymusic

Now, as you are doing, pass it on

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  14. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

My Favorite would be a JD 4020 just the next step from the 4010. I also learned on a AC WD45 and back then I was short and shifting was an adventure. Throw out the Hand Clutch Slide over on the seat Push in Foot Clutch Change Gears, Let out foot Clutch slide back over on seat and pull in hand clutch and away I go. Raked lot's of Hay back in the Day on the old WD45, only thing had going for it was it did have power sterring sort of a little pull and she turn right to the left all on its own but to turn right was to give a good tug down on the old steering wheel.

any way good luck,

sublime out

15. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

On the cab issue, I don't NEED one, but it would be nice, I dont NEED one because:
    1. I am a Minnesotan.tymusic (dont ask about the flag)
    2. I like spending my weekends outside on a frozenlake looking down a hole in the ice
    3. I am a proud owner of Carhart workwear
    4. I LOVE THE COLD!!!!:dizzy:

I have never looked into purchasing something like this, and was wondering, how much I could get a used loader for, and not only a John Deere I guess.:cry:, and about the transporting issue, what am I looking at for road speeds?

Am I correct that I still need all the same insurance, nothing different?

16. SLS007

SLS007 Junior Member

Yeah, I thought I didn't need a cab either. But that was back in the summer when I have a tendency to forget how ccccold Winter gets in this neck of the woods. You might not NEED a cab but I can assure you that you won't regret it. I am also the owner of Carhardt work gear but that doesn't replace a cab.
    I don't know if you intend to buy new equipment or used but rather than trying to match a used loader (why are they selling it??? - think about it) buy a tractor that already has a loader attached so that you can try it out. Or if you are buying new get the loader as part of the package especially if you are financing it. Most new John Deere compact tractors are now sold as package deals including a loader. I agree with the post to look at the JD 4020 instead of the 4010. The 4020 has optional cabs available from JD and aftermarket.
    With respect to road speed I would suggest a machine that can run at about 30-40km/h (sorry I don't know the conversion to mph).
    On the insurance issue, I carry a $1 million Commercial General Liability policy for my business. I've got a nice little policy to cover my Liability and equipment for about $350 - very good deal! Currently I'm operating as a part-time operation but if I was doing this for a full-time living coverage would be in about the $750-$1,000 range. I'm not using a licensed vehicle to plow so I don't need any special automobile insurance coverage.
    I'm envious of you down there in Minnesota. I've been checking prices on used machinery and there are some good deals to be had down there on machines with about 500-750 hours on them. Much better deals than are available in my area. It looks like the brand new machinery is at least 25% less than we pay up here in Canada. From my research I think you should be able to buy a very nice machine for about $20,000.
    Start saving your money!

SLS007

17. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Not to down play your enthusiasm, but I'm surprised that no one mentioned this already. Will you even be able to get commercial insurance at the age of 16. Most companies won't even consider it till you are at least 18 and then it is usually pretty expensive at that age.

18. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

you might have to have it all registered in your parents name. That's what I had to do until I was 18. I don't know what it's like out there. I don't have a cab on my tractor, but after 14 long hours it gets cold and you can't warm up, not matter what you wear. Let alone if it is still snowing while your plowing, which will happen a lot. Once you're wet, it gets miserable. You can't just run home and change. For road speeds I would say you are looking at maybe 15 MPH max. Not that you want to go any faster than that on snowy roads. My 4310 will top out around 18-20 if I remember correctly. I've never had it that far up. It's a tractor, not a hot rod.

19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

SLS007, I am looking for a used pieco of equipment, but not nearly as large as a 4010 or 4020, that was just off topic talk about times on the farm. I am looking for more like a used 990 or 790 with a loader on it.

GL&M, I will not be able to get insurance till Im 18, but I want opinons on if I should buy a pickup with a plow or a loader and a snow bucket or scoop. I am doing a little more manual labor for the time being.;)wesport

20. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

If you are definatally set on plowing with a tractor I would not go without a back blade. Not a box blade but just a standard 5 of 6ft back blade. You can usually pick them up for a few hundred dollars and you can spin them around backwards and on an angle and plow snow just like a truck would.

I have a Kubota L3400 shuttle shift with a loader (about the same size as a JD990) and never use the loader when I do my own drive and my parents. We just use the back blade and the only time we use the loader is to make the piles of snow really tall so my 4 year old nephew can play on the mounds.

A plow truck would be hands down the better way to go but if you plan on using it in the summer for misc. stuff that gives the tractor a heck of an advantage.

Just another thought if you are worried about cost and road speed, look at an 8n with a back blade. If you get one with a sherman step up/down tranny(lever on the left side forward of the clutch) they have a road gear of about 24mph. And 8n's will push a lot of snow. That is what I used to use before the plow truck and kubota. And 8n's are everywhere. BTW the kubota has a road gear of 13.5MPH