1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck or tractor or ATV?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fluvanna, Aug 27, 2010.

1. fluvanna

fluvanna Junior Member

I live in central Virginia (Fluvanna County) and I have a 500 yard long gravel driveway. I also live on a street which is about 2 miles long and is not maintained by the state. We don't normally get a whole bunch of snow but we were hammered this past winter and I ended up shovelling most of the driveway three times (and we're talking 18 inches of snow each time.) So this year I will go smarter, not harder.

Some of my neighbors have small tractors which they use to plow their driveways, and they also pitch in to plow the main road. I don't have a tractor or an ATV. I have a light pickup truck (2WD Tacoma) but it's near the end of its service life.

My question is, what is the smartest way for me to plow snow? Should I buy a used tractor, a new or used ATV, or a used 4x4 pickup and plow? I don't really think I would have time to do commercial work so I wouldn't want to dump too much money into this. I just need the ability to clear stuff when necessary.

I had been planning on buying a used pickup, preferrably a 3/4 ton but a 1/2 ton if that's all I could find, and putting a used plow on there. I was thinking maybe one of the used F250s I've seen for about $10-14,000. But I thought I would ask the experts what they thought.

I have not wanted to go down the snowblower route because I think it would just take too long. I think it would take me a minimum of five hours of work to clear the driveway with a snowblower.

The reason why I thought I would take the truck option is because a truck has a lot of utility. I don't think I would enough agricultural work to justify a tractor; same with the ATV. But if one of these is the better option

Any suggestions? I appreciate your help -

2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Hire your neighbor to plow your drive. :nod:

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That would be the cheapest and easiest thing to do. But if you realy want to plow it your self. You should get either a 1/2 ton with a 7.5' plow or a 3/4 ton with an 8' plow IMO.

4. fluvanna

fluvanna Junior Member

OK, thanks, I appreciate it. I also saw that a guy asked a similar question in one of the non-commercial parts of the website, so I got some good information there too. Thanks!

5. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

I suppose i'm going to say it depends on how much you mind the cold weather. If you go with an ATV/UTV with a plow you are going to be out in the elements but then you have the toy for the summer time. Unless you have a summer use for it i would stray away from the tractor. Lastly if you don't care for the cold go for the pickup. Trucks do come in very handy hauling/moving random crap. Of course all of this gets trumped by whatever you can find an outstanding deal on...