1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck or ATV for Driveways??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wkahler, Oct 17, 2008.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

:dizzy:Well i have two reason for this question. So fare i have 30+/- bank owned house that i have to plow every time it snows, and shovel to the parking area. Now i have a Boss V-blade now that i was going to us. Now the second reason i found a nice Polaris 700 for sale from a friend and could throw a plow on it, also i have a guy that wants to buy my truck and plow package.............which i figured i could sell it buy something a little newer or keep it and not be hurt at all. What do you guys think and which way would you go???? :dizzy:
  2. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I wouldn't even think twice about an ATV for driveways..... If the snow is too heavy and deep, your screwed. Not to mention it won't be fun in the middle of a blizzard sitting on the quad getting soak and wet...
  3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Keep the truck!!!!!!
  4. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Those where some of my thoughts also...........have to pull a trailer or ramped it in and out all the time. Just was making sure i was on the same page as the others here!
  5. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

The only way I would use a quad is if all your houses are close together, and there is not much snow, or if you could keep up with it during the storm and only charge my the amount it snowed. But after the first couple of hours, you do get cold and wet, and the fun runs right out of it quickly.
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Stick with the truck ATVs don't compare with trucks.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep the truck. The truck is ALOT warmer and more useful the rest of the year.
  8. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Well they only allow me to plow once it STOPS snowing. So i was liking the idea of the truck, but then i got to thinking about the area around my house that i could pick up some close houses but it such a gamble to give up the big blade. How well does a V blade work on back dragging? Its not the new style it is a 2004 without the trip edge new thingy!
  9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

does it have smartlock cylinders?
  10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

ATV's have their place. I think if you have a truck with a plow already I would keep it. ATV's are great for sidewalks on large commercial properties. Even smaller properties with long walks they are great. With the truck you back drag a couple times, back in, push it out, tuck it in on the corners of the drive and roll. Or if you are lucky you can push it off to the side or whatever depending on the drive. ATV's would take substantially longer to use, colder to use, pain to load/unload, manually angling the blade is a pain, etc. Long walks aren't bad since you don't angle as much, but I guess if you were just starting and already had the 4 wheeler it would be a great launching pad. Since you already have a plow I think you would hate it.
  11. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

No that is why i was wondering!
  12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Back dragging with a boss V that doesnt have smartlocks can be very frustrating. If your primarilly plowing driveways I would invest in a set of smartlocks.