1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck opinions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mark13, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

As most of you know I'm searching for a plow for my 98 and in searching found this. http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/car/453735669.html Now my problem- spend $1500-2500 on a plow, wiring and controller (already have a mount) for my 98 or spend $2500-2800 on this and have dedicated plow/work truck and then my 98 as my daily. The part that worries me is the engine swap and how skilled the people who did it were and what transmission it has. Also the extra storage,upkeep,plates,fuel,insurance, etc of another truck. What's your guys opinon?
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It looks pretty good but I think it would be cheaper just to put a blade on the truck you have.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ya take's yer chance's an roll the dice ,no certainties in life dealing with people,you just got get a feel for their responsibility, and aptitude . will they drive it like it was their's to pay for when it break's ,look at what they drive and how they drive it , it might tell you something .responsibility is something that take's time to get a nack for
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Boy that looks like a real beast! Must be an old tow truck body on it.
  5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would stay away from that truck like Bill Clinton does the truth.

The 6.5 diesels are JUNK.

Stick with what you got....it will do everything you want it to do and won't leave you high and dry unless you put a 8 foot vee on it.
  6. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I think it would be a good idea to go with a second truck but maybe something a little newer. ealry or mid 90's.But you also have to think if you get another truck, you have more insurance taxes plate etc.
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

drool:eek: That truck is a friggin tank!!! If I had the $$$ available for that truck, I think I would buy it
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't need a second truck, I just found it while looking for a plow for my current truck. I'd rather put a plow on my current one but depending on the price of the plow it might be a few hundred more and I could have another whole truck and plow to save my daily driver from abuse. I was also thinking about 2x fuel, insurance, upkeep, plates, etc.

Swap a d60 in the front and it would be even better.

I still plan to put a plow on my current truck but if I don't find one in a few more weeks I may look back into the truck if the guy still has it.
  9. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Agreed....Imagine the upkeep on that thing.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

ya, I'm not planning on buying it, I just thought it would be neat while it worked good. My 98 keeps me busy enough, I don't need a two trucks to fix stuff on yet.
  11. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

The listing states that the truck has a new clutch. I would hate to think what it would be to plow a small parking lot with a manual tranny.
  12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Could you elaborate on what you are basing this statement on?
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Mark when you get a chance drive over to McHenry to the intersection of Bullvalley Road and Rt. 31. On the southeast corner is a used car shop that has plow trucks in there at a real decent price.

The guy may even be talked into removing a plow from one of the trucks and selling to you out right.

Having a second truck is great tho i have to say and never realized the value of having one until I ended up with one.

Right now at your age i wouldn't worry to much about it but the way you are more mature then others your age I would plan on one n the near future.

You can always get a 6month policy on the second truck and just have it on your property during the summer/fall months w/no insurance on it.

Plates no matter what are a set cost so even if you have no insurance it will still be registered so your neighbors can't complain about it.

Seriously tho go over to that lot on Bullvalley & Rt 31 and see what they have. I drove by the day before yesterday and he had 6 used plow trucks in there.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2, I know several guys who have them and have had no major probelms with them. They drive them like work trucks, pull way to much and still say they would buy another one, heck one guy has a 6.5 3/4 silverado and a 6.5 3/4 suburban.
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll have to head over there at some point. A second truck may be nice for next year as I was offered several lots this year but I have no insurance for plowing yet, no salter, and next semester (january) I have a class at 715am so I can't be out all night plowing. Next winter seems promising, this year is just going to be practice so I can become efficient at it.
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/car/456923471.html New pictures uploaded by the guy. I know the plow is a 8ft western with backwards headlights, but what model? Is it one of the old cable controlled (that goes behind the bumper) since it looks like no unimount I have ever seen?
  17. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

There are very few things in this world that bug me as much as the lights being installed on the wrong sides.

I like that truck, but I wouldn't want to plow with a stick, and that bed is ugly. Probably very functional, heavy, good rear visibility and a nice place for a sander, but pretty homely looking. I'd lose the 36s for the winter, stick some 235/85 MTs on there instead. But what a torque monster. 6.5 TD is a cool motor for that truck, never seen one swapped into that bodystyle. I'd really like it if it was a crewcab dually. Course then it wouldn't be as good for plowing.
    70k on a 6.5 is nothing. Only problem wit hthat motor is the PMD failure, all you need to do is move it away from the engine heat on a remote cooler and she'll last a long time.
  18. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I know where you are talking about and yes you are right now that I think about it, there is a bunch of nice trucks that are always there.
  19. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Or install it with the heat sink.
    Seems to me many guys have good luck with the 6.5 and others have no luck.
    A reputable pump builder is usually the key to getting good service from the 6.5. Buying the El Cheapo pump from Trak auto is pretty much going to get you no were. You have to find a reputable pump builder, that does it right, and builds in a clean room.
    Even GM had issues with a rash of bad OEM rebuilds that were junk.
    I think 93 and back were mechanical pumps and more reliable .