1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Opinions Wanted!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Mar 17, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have a chance to pick up this truck for pretty much nothing. It is a friend's truck that is in pretty good shape. 1986 GMC 2500 with 185K on it. I think the miles are just way too high and the leaking oil would be a PITA. I seriously could pick this up for nothing and just use it as a farm and around town truck, but I'll probably pass on it. Just wondering what you guys think of it? I'm not real serious about, just mulling it over in my head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=260097962302&rd=1&rd=1

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

IT WOULD BE A GOOD BEATER!:gunsfiring: And if you can use it to plow around the farm I would say take it. It wouldn't'c really cost much to get that oil leak fixed unless it is something major? I haven't seen it so I couldn't tell ya. Also that mileage doesn't seem that bad for that year truck. If its the original motor it just shows how good gm's trucks really are if you take care of them.

Ryan

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If that truck is as solid as it looks, it is a STEAL at that price! Look at the list of parts on it... I can't even get a stainless exhaust system alone for that price.

Buy it, put a cheapie Maaco paint job on it, and make a big pile of money with it.

If that was close to me, I'd buy it today. In fact, if he'd like to drive it up here, I WILL take it!

4. DeereFarmer

Wow, I'm surprised! I thought everyone would say that it's a junk box. I'm going to contact the guy and see what he and I can work out. We race together and he owes me a little favor after using my race car last summer lol. I might be able to pick it up for around $400. I wouldn't even paint it. I like the mixed color look... it gives it character!

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

For that kind of money, buy it plow with it one storm and you paid for it. Back-up trucks are valuable, just ask anyone who needed one and didn't have it.

6. DeereFarmer

I hear ya. It's just my last tow experiences with "beater" trucks have ended in complete failure. Well, not really. I sold them for more than I paid for them. Insurance is what really gets me. That is the deal breaker right there. I have to see if I can cover it under the farm. I can't justify another $2700 a year for a beater.

7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

buy it those kind of trucks make awesome work/farm trucks and since its already set up with a plow you could make some good money with it. that isnt too many miles a friend of mine has a 1991 K2500 with a 350 the truck has 260,000 miles on it original motor/tranny/T-case its a beater but it works great.

8. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

If you just drive it around your farm you dont even need insurance unless you want to drive it around town

9. DeereFarmer

Yeah, I know if i keep it on the farm I don't need plates or insurance, but I would put it to work plowing in the winter. I'm still waiting for a call back.

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

As anyone will tell you who have and do own 73-87 GM trucks is that they are tanks and it is hard to kill one, my 85 K10 plows around 50 drives per snow fall and it has never gone down yet.

So buy the truck, generaly the maintanance cost are very low and its not hard to find parts for them eather.

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Got some bids, if you want it better move....

$2700 a year for basic insurance? Huh? What is your driving record like? I spend a lot on insurance, all my vehicles have full collision, fire, theft, etc... each of them ranges from $81-90 a month, fully insured. Canadian dollars, of course. The newest is a '94, but still... surpisingly its the cheapest at $81!

State Farm, before anyone asks...

12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

$2700 cant be right,can it? I pay $700 canadian for the year and the truck is insured for full coverage. And I am 27 years old.

13. DeereFarmer

I have a perfect driving record. No accidents, no tickets, and one warning (doesn't matter, plus it was 34 in a 30, but still my bad!). The problem is that I'm 18 (almost 19) so I'm automatically way up on the points system. I have to have a perfect record until 21 for the rates to go down. I LOVE Mass... not! I'm trying to work a deal out with him, but he's being kind of a PITA about it lol. He is now having second thought about it. I'll try to deal with him outside of EBay.

14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

do you guys have farm tags in mass

15. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Under 6 years of driving is the problem.

16. DeereFarmer

Yeah, but they'll rip you off with them. I've tried many many times to get them. The savings you get from them are offset by how much it costs to have the permit for them. It evens itself out. I'm trying to see if I could register the truck under the farm LLC and that should get me to like $300 a year. I'm trying to do that with my F250. I think i can get it down from $2700 to $600 a year. I would own the truck, but the farm would be responsible for it. I wouldn't register the GMC until next winter anyway.

17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

would you still put a plow on the F 250

18. DeereFarmer

I probably would not put a plow on the F250... for now. Maybe a few years down the road. It is either going to be a backup older type of truck or a plow for the F250. It's just soooooo long!

19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I had a 87 HD and only sold it because of the deal I got on a 88 and it had a exhaust manifold leak I dint want to deal with. It had 270k on it when I sold it and it is still plowing today with over 300k on it.

Keep it clean and waxed year around and change the oil every 3k and you can't go wrong.

20. DeereFarmer

Well, I think I'm going to pass on this truck. Right now I think I really need to keep my money going into my F250. I hate making payments (I like to own my vehicles, not the bank), so I'm trying my hardest to pay it off early. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll be well enough off to get a truck like this.