1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck operating temperatures

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by QKSnowRemoval, Nov 24, 2009.

1. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

This is my first year plowing and i have some questions about driving with the plow on as well as the trucks operating temperature. i have read other posts kinda replying to this but i haven't gotten the answer im looking for.
    First question is when you are going from account to account do you have the plow lifted all the way up or do u have it down just a little the get more air the the grill/radiator and coolers?
    Second question is about what temperature does your truck run at when u have a plow on it? my gauge was running at 200 to 220 maybe. (not sure on the 220). but this was on a day when it was 40 to 50 degrees out side when i had to move it from storage and also get service work done on it. I guess im wondering what should it run at when its winter out and alot colder, because stock with no plow it runs 185 or so. And to cool down the truck do you guys have the heater on high to help dissipate the heat from the radiator? Also isnt the max amount of temp a thermostat can handle is 210
    Third question: Can you monitor the temp of your trans cooler with the radiator gauge? I have a dodge ram and it has a stock aux trans cooler, and its in between the a/c cooler and radiator, but i know it would be better to just install a trans gauge but could the radiator gauge give me a guess of what temp the trans is running at.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Raise the plow all the way. If the truck gets too warm then either drop or angle the blade
    My truck runs the same temp either plowing or driving
    Get a tranny temp guage
  3. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

ok then i guess ill get a gauge, but id like to have more options about my other questions
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

200 is not too hot.....get a good gauge if you are worried.
    there are several operating ranges of thermostats now.
    Pretty sure your truck will run alot cooler when the temps drop.
  5. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

its simple...when the temp rises just drop the plow a little to get some air flow, a trans temp gauge is a good idea, also a good idea would be to change your trans fluid from type 3 to type 4 because the type 4 has a higher temperature rating and its a good idea to keep up in maintenance anyway
  6. overtime

overtime Senior Member

200 is good temp and like other said if temp does get to hot just lower plow. And a trans gauge not hard to install and not pricey. When your plowing to with temps in 20 or lower you should be fine though. Flush trans fluid with new wouldn't hurt either
  7. Ottneys250

Ottneys250 Junior Member

Actually buddy I think if the trans never been serviced or its in older truck I think it can hurt to flush the tranny. Im just going to take mine to have it rebuilt after this winter ,so it stays relibel. Its a little tired
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Temps depend upon your truck type.
    200 is a fair heat range. 220 is getting too warm. Heat kills components including transmissions.
    A trans temp should be under 160, 120 seems to be a solid workable goal. Hitting 180 and above will short the trans fluid and trans life very very quickly.

Flsuhing a trans after not servicing ever is not like the old transmissions from 20-30 years ago. You would have to do a filter change, then full fluid exchange and put in a good additive. It will be as fine as it can be. But, proper maintenance in the first place is best.
  9. zeek

zeek Member

Well..if it helps at all my truck runs about the same temp as yours (220-230) with the plow on. I am taking it to the dealer next week so I will let you know what they tell me.