1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck ok for plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Spanks99, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Spanks99

Spanks99 Junior Member

Ok just looking for some opinions on if this set up will do well plowing, will be mostly residential drives way and maybe a small lot or 2. Ok so now for the truck, it will be a 99 silverado nbs 1500, BUT a dana 60 front axle hung by leaf springs, 14b ff rear axle, 6.0l mated with a 4l80e. So the truck basically has a 2500 power train but on a 1500 frame, do you thing it will do ok plowing?

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Don't hang a huge plow off it and that thing will be a good rig

3. Spanks99

Spanks99 Junior Member

I only panned on a 7-7.5 ft plow nothing much bigger.
    Thanks

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

You should do very well. 7.5 at the minimum or at full angle it won't clear the truck. Good luck

5. Spanks99

Spanks99 Junior Member

Thanks, I really appreciate it

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You're fine.

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

what is the donor vehicle that the leaf spring dana 60 and 14 bolt are coming from? i'd imagine you have quite a bit of work to put that under a 1999 silverado? not a bolt in swap.

even if the 1500 was stock a 7.5 width would be the minumum. i'd run an 8 footer.

8. Spanks99

Spanks99 Junior Member

The D 60 came from a 85 k30 and I don't have the 14bolt FF yet but, plan on taking it out of a 2000-2007 2500HD SRW. Yeah requires cutting all the IFS out and welding on spring perches to hang the leaf springs. Then run a cross over steering step up to passages knuckle. It's not really complicated just takes time to collect all the parts. A lot of hardcore off roaders do this swap for the "flex" but I looking for a HD 4x4 truck.

And yes thought about it today and may go with a 8 ft

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

sounds like a cool project. i'd love to see some pics as you go along.

a leaf sprung solid front axle for a snowplow can't be beat in my mind - especially when its a dana 60.

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

How come you didn't just put the 99 1500 body over onto the K30 frame?

11. Spanks99

Spanks99 Junior Member

I don't know, the k30 has the notorious frame cracking at the steering box. Then moving and fabing body mounts. Seems like a bit more work

12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Steering brace from off road design would take care of that, I'd trust the K30 1 ton frame over the 1500 all day long.

How bad was the body on the K30, was it a single or dual rear wheel.

13. Spanks99

Spanks99 Junior Member

Sorry If I didn't say but I don't have a donor truck, Iam collecting parts as I find them. I would also trust a 1ton frame over a 1/2, but if I were to swap frames it would most likely be to a 2500 frame from the same generation truck to make it easier. But then it would be cheap/easier and just buy a 2500

14. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

You're going to have to modify the plow mounts. The solid axle swap requires at least 4-5'' of lift over stock height to avoid killing the oil pan at full compression.

15. Spanks99

Spanks99 Junior Member

16. CurbKilla

CurbKilla Junior Member

sounds like to much work to me. I would just buy a truck with a plow or a plow with a mount and find the right truck. But I guess if you like screwing with old **** have at it.

17. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

It will handle an 8' straight blade bone stock

18. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

You should be fine with a 7.5' plow.

19. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Is this an actual "will it be ok" thread or a "look at me" thread?

Just don't understand why you don't think it would work. Big axles, big engine, "basically a 2500", etc...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  20. Spanks99

Spanks99 Junior Member

It is a "will It be ok thread", iam not trying to show off the truck if I wanted to do that I would do a big lift with big shines wheel and big tires and never did it dirty. But i am not, yeah it will "basically" be a 2500 but it won't actually be a 2500, it will have the same power train but a different frame, the most important put of a truck, I know the frame will handle the weight/stress of the new powertrain but then when you want to slap a plow on it, and extra what 800lbs? That's where my question was, will the frame hold up to that new stress?. Or should I just not plow with it to be safe. Sorry if I didn't make that clear

And yes I do like screwing with old *** because I rather build the truck I want rather than buy it. :)