1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck not strong enough

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gsfloor, Oct 23, 2015.

1. gsfloor

gsfloor Junior Member
    from nj

So I decided to finally put a plow on my personal truck. Gmc 2007.5 / 3500 4WD CREWCAB 8FT BED SINGLE REAR WHEEL DIESEL. Always been a western guy. Went to western dealer today and told truck isnt heavy duty enough to even handle a 8ft contractor grade blade. Anyone hear of this? I know front end sits low and was going to put torsion bar keys in.Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

It's because of the weight of the diesel and your FAWR. Your truck will handle any Western plow there is. Your dealer may refuse to install it due to liability, but you can have another dealer install it, or buy it cash and carry and install it yourself. My truck (and many other diesel owners here) have plows on their trucks that aren't plow manufacturer recommended. Your truck WILL handle it though.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed like a mad man for 5 years with a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax Diesel. 3.5 years with a Boss 9.2' poly V and then the last year and a half I had it with a Boss 9.2 Stainless Steel DXT. You're truck should handle any plow.

4. gsfloor

gsfloor Junior Member
    from nj

OK thanks guys, I actually forgot I had an 01 and an 02 with no problems but not sure if anything was changed front end wise that needs to be beefed up?

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You could install heavier springs in the front if you wanted to, but your door sticker will remain the same, so the dealership probably still won't install it. You could add Timbrens or airbags to help support the weight if you wanted as well, but I wouldn't bother with all of that. Timbrens maybe, and they're only a couple of hundred bucks, so it's some cheap peace of mind.

6. gsfloor

gsfloor Junior Member
    from nj

Yeah I tow alit of weight and put timbrens in the back and what a difference they make, I will put them in front just for the hell if it