1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck needs a diet

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nevrnf, Nov 4, 2010.

1. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Went and picked up my blade and ballast then loaded up some scrap and went to the scrap yard where they weigh you in and out. My F250 xcab long bed diesel with the Boss
    9' and 500# full tank and me went over the scale at just over #9600. Truck is GVWR at 8800# so i am over weight for the winter.
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

just about every 3/4 ton truck with a plow and a sander is overweight. my f-350 needs to lose about 2000lbs to make it usefull legally.:rolleyes:
  3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

that is why my trucks are registered for 11,000 lbs.
    if you go by the gvw on the b pillar, they are overweight sitting there with a full tank of fuel.
  4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I know i was just suprised it wa sover 9k. I am plated to 12k so i only have to worry about a "unsafe vehicle ticket" if the cop wants to really be a dick for being over on GVWR. If they see the higher plate (D) they usually pass on writing a ticket. They love to see guys with a (B #8000) plate.
  5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i though b tags were 6k in illinois? if they are 8 im at 8017 in the winter wo we are good!
  6. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

B tags are 8k Great for most 1500 or 1/2 ton trucks. By law in IL the truck is suppose to be plated for the GVWR on the door tag not by the empty weight. All 3/4 and 1 tons need to have at least D plates. The newer F350 DRW with the tow boss package needs a E plate and the F450 tow boss actually need a F to be legal here.
  7. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

geez i guess i should look into some d plates, mine came in at about 7850 a few months ago, outfitted for snow ill be right around 9k. suprised they dont say anything when you apply for plates and they send ya b plates on a 3/4 or 1 ton. have a feeling cops are gonna be out in full force hittin plowers this year for weight since they are hammering everyone for everything else these days
  8. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

In MN, 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons are just a regular plate, no weights. 1 tons amd up you have to have the commercial style plates. My 350 is plated at 15,000#, which is the G sticker if i remember right.
  9. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

its all about money
  10. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

looks like next year when i get my sticker ill have them change the rating on my eagle scout plates since it is only b plated!
  11. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

No E truck plates in Illinois

Just my .02¢
  12. cosgo

cosgo Member

You dont HAVE to run a bigger plate neccesarily. If your weights are right you can run a smaller plate (example, you can run a D plate on a ford f 550 so long as you can keep the weight correct)
  13. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

If you're running with the chassis cab only and nothing more. For instance, base curb weight on a MY 08 F550 4x4 with the 6.4 PSD manual trans and 141" WB is 7810 lbs.
  14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That is tough to do with a 3/4ton pickup with a plow though. I rolled my buddies truck across the scale a couple of nights ago, and his 2001 Chevy 2500HD regular cab lang box with a 6.0 gasser with a western 8.6ft unimount weights in at 7,920. That is with the fuel tank on less than 1/4. If you fill that tank up or somone else gets in the truck for that matter, he is over his 8,000lb plates.
  15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I don't think that they can. 8,000lb is the most that you can get on an passenger or b-truck plate. You will have to switch to a commerical plate to get a 12,000lb plate. (welcome to the saftey lane every 6 months.)
  16. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Unless you get D.O.T. numbers for the truck. Then it's once a year.

Just my .02¢
  17. cosgo

cosgo Member

I wasn't saying anyone should run out and get derated plates or anything, I was just pointing out that as long as you maintain your vehicles gvwr the plate is a user chosen value. I run multiple trucks (pick up trucks) with plates ranging from 8000 - 26000 lb plates on them. It all depends on what you're doing with them (pulling trailers, etc)
  18. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

here in jersey, we have passenger, commercial, and passenger at commercial fee plates.
    you set the weight limit, not the state.
    when i first got my 88, they tried giving me 5000 lb gvw plates. i told the girl that was nuts, the truck weighs over 8,000 lbs empty. she looked at me like i was an idiot and said pickups are lighter than cars. you don't need any more than a 5,000 lb plate.:dizzy:

thankfully they have restructured the motor vehicle commission, and now have people with brains behind the counters.
  19. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

My F-350 with no blade or weight weighs about 8,000lbs. GVWR is 11,400lbs......plated to 12,000lbs.
  20. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

how can you change that ? I thought they just go by the vin

I plan on getting a dump insert to haul firewood and material and that will easy put me over the 8800gvwr

I am in NJ as well