1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck mounted snowblowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zeebea, Feb 24, 2008.

1. zeebea

zeebea Junior Member

Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone has ever used a truck mounted snow blower here. I have purchased one and would like some input from any other owners out there.

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

The guy down the street from me sold his 1991 gmc 1500 and when he sold it the guy that bought it put one on it and I heard it does very well. Throws a good distance too.

3. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Could you post some pix of the blower? Jerre Heyer of Jerre's Service has one also I believe. You can find him on the Blizzard forum.

4. zeebea

zeebea Junior Member

snow blower

I will take some pictures when I get the snow cleared off of it. I was wondering because I have nothing but problems with it so far. When it works it is great but mine has been more problematic than anything. They are supposed to be sending me a new one. The one I got was the very first one with the new 35 HP engine. The brackets needed to be fabricated by them so everything was tacked together to make the brackets. All the welds keep breaking. We will see when the other one gets here. They told me as well as the guy at all web mail order( where I actually purchased it to save over 1200 including free shipping) that they have never ever had anyone with such problems. But with all the searches I have done to date there is really no info other than there site about them. We will see, Ill get some pics for you in a day or two. Thanks for the reply.

5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

OK, so what did you buy for a blower????

6. zeebea

zeebea Junior Member

blower

I bought it to get all teh crappy driveways no one wanted. I also do a condo complex with it.

7. zeebea

zeebea Junior Member

blower

I bought a Hanson snow blower. 7 feet wide, 800 pounds and it has a 35 hp engine. Scrapes to the tar great, no piles and I can shoot snow up to id say a good 50 feet. Or I can send it 2 feet. Now the only problem is that it keps breaking. Hanson has been doing this since 1980 according to there site. Dropped the ball on this one I guess.

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I'm curious what does yr unit weigh?
    A(1) guy up here had it, truck was very nose heavy, but it was a chev dually, not the strongest frt suspension. Of course he folded this year on Dec 14-07.
    I'm sure it would do a great job but I think it would be very slow, my $00.02.

9. zeebea

zeebea Junior Member

snow blower

This bad boy weighs in at around 800 pounds. I am running a 01 Chevy Tahoe. I put in the Timbrens? for the front. It is heavy, but it is bearable. 3/4 ton torsion bars are going in this spring. I do depending on the storm 20 to 25 driveways and a condo complex. Driveways are nice, 2 car wide by 6 deep takes about 4 minutes with a good 8 inches of snow. No more back dragging or packed snow. I can get about 6 inches from the garage doors on most houses. It is slow in respect to actual travel speed, but you do a strip 7 feet wide, back up do a strip 6 1/2 feet wide and there is no windrow. I think is is about the same speed in the long run and a bit less jarring on the poor old yuppie rig. But like I said not so dependable. I spoke to the company today and they are sending me out the original unit with the 27 horse engine they have been using for the last 12 years. Hope I have better luck with this one.

10. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

11. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Your weight and time seem fine, big tractors w/inverted blowers are becoming very popular here might have to get some to stay competitive on resi's.