1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck mounted laptop?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by shott8283, Oct 16, 2009.

1. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

anyone using a truck born lap top during your route to keep track of start and stop times and locations and conditions of your accounts and storms? similar to the law enforcement officers use with those toughbooks .

figured it would be easier to just hit a few bottons then writing down in your log book.. then that way you can print off any information needed

assuming there is software out there that supports an idea like this (dibs on the copyright,patent and idea if there isnt!!)

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

a good old fashioned ink pen and clipboard still does the trick for me. I love the cool factor of my ultra portable laptop, but its really less convenient.

3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

No just like said above good old paper and pen for me to

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Paper and pen for keeping track of times, laptop in the truck is for radar updates, road conditions, etc. Tracking times on the laptop would be more cumbersome than scribbling a time down on a time sheet.

5. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I have a toughbook in my work truck as a project manager and I love it. I have sprint mobile broadband and can view plowsite all day long and also great for instant emails. I have nothing bad to say except with the ram mount I don't know if it would hold up slamming snow for 24hrs. But the computer is indestructible.wesport

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

my RAM mount held up good last year. the version i have sort of crowds any passenger but not bad. i have cricket broadband and it worked good also. how do you power yours?
    the laptop i have now has a "glossy" screen which is just terrible in daylight..i would look into an anti glare (i think that what they call them) screen,
    steve

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I use my laptop in my truck all winter long. I'd be lost without it. If you're looking for a really good mount, try the Jotto Desk... not cheap, but very sturdy and great adjustability.

http://www.jottodesk.net/

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have yet to find a sub $100 laptop stand. Nothing anywhere.
    I am working on trying to get a camera wired into a netbook for the rear.
    they are so cheap and the screen is larger then some backup cameras. im thinking about making a small bracket that the laptop goes into which mounts in my cup holders in my ram.

9. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I havent heard much but am curious but Ford was suppose to have some form of microsoft system buil into the in dash navi screen it would be nice to have all those capabilities with a factory appearance. I also have the garmin gps on my laptop which is amazing.

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Friend of mine has a redneck mount... It's a piece of steel pipe with a couple fabricated brackets bolted to the floor. The top is a piece of lexan, and bungee cords to hold the 'puter on. Looks like crap, but seems to be holding up, he doesn't plow with the truck though.

I use a jotto desk in my F350, but with the Dell Latitude on it, it can really get rocking front to back on the rougher highways and plowing... A tie-down from the upper part of the "mast" to the back of the seat brackets worked well to secure it. I know jotto has a strut for this purpose, but I haven't looked into it since the tie down works so well...

11. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Here's my set up, its a Ram mount , it ran me about two hundred on-line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Nice looking. Here is another thought for you. We do something a bit different. I give the guys mp3 voice recorders and we just talk in to the between jobs. So we have a full log of everything but don't have to stop and write stuff down. I know the writing only takes a minute but man, I like to get paid $2.50-$3 a minute so that pen and paper is VERY expensive to me. Especially when doing a lot of smaller places. It is really easy to talk between jobs. Then transcribe it back at the office when you are not plowing - when your time isn't worth so much or have someone else transcribe the logs for you.

As far as software, here is what I would like to see. A software program tied in to a gps so that it knows where I am already. When I pull up to the jobsite, it could flash "Mrs. Smith's driveway" or just the address, I should push a button (like enter) and it should record the time in, I push a button when done and it records time out. If this address is on my regular client list then it already knows what service and how much we charge per time. At the end of the month I should push another button (like print) and all the bills come flying out the printer with the date, service, time in, time out, and service charge, tax and total. And Boom, my log sheets are done and my accounting is done. If anyone finds such software, let me know. I don't care what it costs.

13. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

jotto is amazing, have them in all our fire trucks at work,,,i can kick the thing and it won't break.

14. Marionlandscape

Marionlandscape Junior Member

you are talking in the thousands but I know someone that could write the program. if you are serious I will split the bill with you.

15. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I would love to have a laptop in my truck, but I would be playing on here too much haha

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Crew Tracker
    It uses GPS and has a live "real time" viewer on line. It tracks the time on sites, and any were else the truck may be. You can print the reports to save hard copies, or transfer them to a disc.
    Ron G uses it in his trucks. Its also handy for CYA incase of a lawsuit.

17. Chevy05

Chevy05 Member

Technical term is Matte Finish i believe, :waving:

Stay warm all,

Ryan

18. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

I've got an old laptop mounted in my truck, basicly for weather radar, email or sometimes reading the news if i get done early..... went the cheap route because i really don't have to have it and i'm not overly worried about the laptop. I got the ebay special for like 45 bucks.... its all made out of 3/4" pipe and can be bolted to your passenger seat mount (for the no drill install) .... i would have just went to the hardware store and picked it up myself but its the plexi base that the laptop actually sits on that would be difficult to replicate. For as cheap as it is it works great, put it together got it to where i wanted it and reassembled with lock-tite....

19. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Ive been toying around with the idea.

20. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Just installed a ram mount and love it so far. I use my laptop during a storm to keep track of times and conditions. As well as the radar. To me typing is quicker then writing and i just shoot my emails out after im done.