1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck mount snow blower is swelling my brain

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mudracingfever, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mudracingfever

mudracingfever Junior Member

i have done searches and watch you tube on truck mount snow blowers.. i have seen the hanson and snow vacs and others..not quite diggin them..i have a few questions and concerns i need help sorting..

first my idea is to fab a skid loader snow blower to a western uni mount so the plow pump will raise and lower. a dodge neon 2.0 motor is 130 horse and good economy. that would be in the rear of the truck with a hyd. pump off the flywheel along with hyd oil tank. everything in the rear if the truck would be mounted on a frame so it is removable, hyd oil tank, engine, radiator, etc.

questions are:
    would a skid loader blower or tractor blower be better?
    is a engine that size sufficient?
    would a gas motor be ok or do i need a diesel?
    do i just match blower pump to flywheel pump??

my brain is scarred with this idea.. my dad is gung ho ready.. questions, comments, smart remarks would help....

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

My guess is it won't work like you envision it to. I really don't know about your idea, but I would think this idea has been tried and does not work. All blowers i've seen on the front of pick-up trucks look slow. Give it a shot if you have the time and resources!

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

4. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Sounds like a decent idea, and a good way to keep some of the weight (engine) off the front end.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Why not????

6. WIPensFan

Cause it never does.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Maybe he has better vision than you LOL

8. WIPensFan

Sometimes I think everyone has a better vision than me.;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  9. speedy

speedy Senior Member

I think you've got the right idea. The gas engine would make for lower entry cost, But I think you'd want to upgrade to a diesel after you've made a few bucks and can afford to pay for a diesel. I think 80
    HP, especially in a diesel would run a high-flow blower very well.

Skidsteersolutions.com has some nice blowers, their weight seems like it would be tolerable for a 1 ton, or maybe even a 4500 or 5500 series truck - but converted to single rear wheel. Solid front axle would be a given, and I think air bags up there would be a must as well. High-flow blower would be the best way to go. And figure for a hell of an oil cooler too.

I don't think a regular plow mount would be up to the task. A custom mount - parallelogram-style with a skid-steer quick attach plate.

Outfit the truck with the lowest speed (highest ratio) gears you can find, with an automatic tranny, and you'd likely be running in low range in the T-case too.

10. Ryan's Snow Rem

Ryan's Snow Rem Member
    from Montana

The hydraulic power is a great idea! The only issue I foresee is going to be getting your engine to turn the correct speed for your hydraulic pump. I take it you have the neon motor already? I would talk to a hydraulic shop for their thoughts on the horsepower and speed required for the pump.

Please let me know how this turns out!

11. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

you'll have issues getting a pump to mount to your neon engine, without some custom machine work, or a cobbled up mess. standard power units, use an industrial sized bell housing, and fly wheel, that allows over the counter addapters to bolt up.

the neon engine will work, but you'll need a pump rated for higher rpm then standard. you'll also need a govenor to control the engine speed to maintain a constant speed.

a hydrulic skid steer blower would be simpler then a tractor blower. but either would work.

if you use a big enough oil tank, you won't need a cooler, thier just a pain. standard for mobile equipment is 1/2 gallon of reserve for every gallon of flow ( this changes with pressure, but is close enough for now) extra oil storage doesn't hurt.

find the shipping weight on a blower that would be the right size, then see if it falls into spec for the mount you want to use.

12. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

even with the motor mounted in the back, I would think it would be alot of weight on the front end, and alot more cost then a regular plow. what are you hoping to do? a snow blower will never work at the same speed of a plow...

13. robjets

robjets Member

Yea, why not just a plow, sounds like alot of headache unless your just doing long access ways

14. mudracingfever

mudracingfever Junior Member

i have an 8 foot western on a 2003 f350 diesel. i have f550 springs in front. i have 7 schools to plow and at all the locations where they want the snow put, we end up running out of room since the truck can only bring it so far due to a hill or a swamp or large bank. so with that obstacle, trucks can bring snow down to me and a blower would work best to blow it up the hill, down in swamp, over bank etc. i have acces to a lathe and mill machine for fabricating, im just not sure on how to set it up. as far as the engine governor i had thought of fabing in the speed sensor and using cruise control wiring. ive got it all built in my head but dont know all the specs of components..

15. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Here is some reading material for you.
    www.baumhydraulics.com
    www.federalfp.com
    The motor is not a problem, its getting the correct pump to match a hydraulic drive motor with a sufficent flow to drive your blower. Look up the specs on the blowers that you are interested in. That will get you started with the basic requirements.

16. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

I looked at a 7 foot blower on bobcat's website and it weighs over 1,000 pounds, and thats not even as wide as a small snow plow. 1,000 pounds is a lot for even a 1 ton truck.

I think you will be asking your blower to do an awful lot to move snow that has been plowed in from other trucks if i understand you right. Chances are it will be very heavy wet snow because salt will be mixed with it and the trucks will be bringing it to you faster than you can blow it.

Good luck.

17. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

a 78" skid steer blower is 645lbs. a set of wings to gain 6" per side, and a push frame. shouldn't be any heavier then carrying a 9' Vplow. well within the abilities of a heavy 3/4 ton truck.

here's a list on regular flow loftness blowers

http://www.loftness.com/pdf/current_snowblower_prices.pdf

20 gpm @ 3500 lbs should do fine with 50 hp to power it

not gonna be a cheap way to go, but would work . would be easy to switch from plow to blower to finish cleaning the lots. then the truck could pull double duty

18. black7.3

black7.3 Junior Member

Why not just get a skid steer with a blower???

19. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Thats what I was thinking as well.

Sounds like a fun project but I can't imagine that it would be practical price wise unless you already had everything parts wise and even then you still have some $$ wrapped up in all of the fab work to find out if it will even work the way you hope.

20. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

Most of the time, a skid steer has to be transported via trailer. That can be hard when the roads are full of snow and it wastes time to load and unload it. A truck mounted snowblower would be much more efficient than a skidsteer mounted unit considering the trailering problems.