1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Mount Modified for Lift

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by fedspunisher, Oct 15, 2008.

1. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Thought I would post a picture of what I did to my truck mount to lower it for the lift kit. The lift frame mount says on the truck all the time. This bolts to the Frame and to the lift frame mount with 6 bolts.

This is my design. I'll take pictures of it when its done and painted and then when its mounted. Its just about done. I just used a bunch of angle iron i had laying around from shipping crates my autolift came in.

plow frame.jpg

2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

good luck with that.

3. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Thanks. I think the mount itself is strong enough im just not sure if the attachment to the lift frame will be enough. I'll get a better idea when its done and mounted to see how I can tie it into the frame more on the front uprights.

4. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Are you SURE that is strong enough? what size angle did you use? 1/2" I hope. As long of a drop that you have, unless that is bulletproof, you will be driving OVER your plow, If and when you hit a manhole cover,curb, etc.....

Good luck, let us know how it works outpayuppayup

5. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Who ever had the truck before me looks to have made their own mount. It was basically what you see minus the uprights as the uprights were added to lower it down. The angles pieces going back were just lengthened. Im not 100% sure if the proportions are correct on that model from the real thing. It worked for the guy before the way it was which let me tell you was ugly. This has to be stronger than what he had made. Im hoping to make the bolts the weak link atleast if i break something it will just be a bolt and not the frame of the truck or the plow frame. Suppose time and one unseen obsticle will tell if its strong enough.

6. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I had a lifted truck with a Meyer Plow. The dealer talked to Meyer about the lift. Meyer said to keep the mount on the truck stock, modify the A-frame on the plow to match the mounting on the truck.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

how fare is the mount, whats the angle of the drop support bars?

8. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

of far down? I think its around 4-5 inches from where it was... what ever it took for me to get the a frame level. The angle part is somewhere around 45 degrees. I built this off what i wanted it to look like but as im building it im just cutting accordingly to what i need and with out the mount infront of me i couldnt tell you exactly.

The angle iron i believe is 3/8" and the straps and other stuff is 3/16 roughly.

My rough calculations looks like about 20,000lbs of force before it would break. But thats assuming everything is perfect. so thats probably high.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

few modifyed a-frames i have seen use 2x2 or 2x3 square tube 1/4 or thicker wall and reweld the 2 ears on top of that and it lowers the a-frame down and also throw in some gussets for the extra pushing loads on the tubeing.