1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck mount for pro plow modify

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shadow, Jan 9, 2008.

1. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

I had this pic in another topic here:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=54670

But I think I should have had the topic in this category. To sum up, my mount is too high and well it finally broke at the tab by the lift chain. I will be getting some steel to weld it back together and to modify the mount. Do you guys think this set up will work, or should I do something else?

Here’s a pic of my idea to fix.

http://www.crmovers.biz/pics/Image16.jpg

2. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

since I will need to do some welding I figured why not think about a rear plow setup. I came up with 2 different types. The 1st one is based on a tractor plow pic I saw. The ram would mount in to top holes and would make the blade tilt when it is lifted.

The 2nd is based on the rail type that some lift gates use. The round cylinder represents where the ram would be and the L shaped tubes would slide inside the bigger tubes so the plow would rise up and down in a straight line. Both designs would fit into the tow receiver mount to make it easy to take on and off.

I would be using a ram and motor/pump from a lift gate I got that is the fold under type you see on the straight trucks. I think it was rated for 2,500 pounds cap. so I should have more then enough strength needed. I believe it is power in and out so I could have extra pressure to hold the blade down if needed.

Which design do you think I should go with? Or should I do a different design altogether?

bplow.jpg

bplow2.jpg

3. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

what 3D software did you use to create those designs?

4. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

Google Sketch up.
    There is a free version and a paid pro version. I just downloaded this free version the other day and it works ok. Takes a little getting used to. It is not like a real CAD program I had but it works good for simple stuff I am doing.

5. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

Looks good. I run Pro/Engineer. It is always nice being able to design my own stuff outside of work, or during work...LOL