1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Modifications...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 22, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Just curious as to what kind of mods you guys have made to your trucks to help them plow better, or make things more comfortable?

My mods:
    K&N Generation II Air Intake
    Hypertech Power Programmer
    Optima Red Top Battery
    Powermaster 200-amp Alternator
    Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings
    Navigator Back-up Light mounted to my hitch
    Back-Rack
    Highlighter Light Bar
    Air Lift Load Control air bags in the back
    Weather Tech wind deflectors
    Deflecta-Shield Bug Deflector
    Custom-Built (By me) Center console tha holds my;
    Scanner
    Plow Controls
    Spreader Controller
    Mag Light
    Hands-Free kit for my cell phone.
    Oh... and I tweaked my torsion bars up a little

I've spent a lot of time adding things on to my truck, and so far, every one of them has helped... especially the sway-bar bushings.

[Edited by SlimJim Z71 on 11-23-2000 at 01:03 AM]

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I put dual 725CCA Interstate batteries in my 89 and 91 GMC's.I alos put airlift airbags and on board compressor on the 89 2500,it has the V-box in it.I put a .25" smaller pulley on the alternators,that gives fulloutput at 1100 rpms,instead of 1500.I put an icebeg back plate and 140 amp conversion on both my 100 amp alternators.I put B&M trans coolers and a spin on in line trans filter on both trucks.Coolers are 19000 lb rated.I am getting a 4 strobe light system put on the 91,if I like it,ill get the other one done next season.I added back aux lights on both trucks,thru a relay,with bypass switch,so i can run them all the time if needed.I installed crimestopper remote start units on both trucks that also have keyless entry,this is a must for starting the truck as im getting dressed.I like being able to keep it running,with heat on when i go inside at the gas station or diner,while the keys are in my pocket and its locked up.I have deflecta shield vent visors to help keep out the snow when the windows are down while plowing.Since these are work trucks mostly,Im not to concerned with performance mods,they both run great
    and have 350 EFI engines,that do the job stock,easily.I also put in 3 spot cigarette lighters that I wire to the ignition side for power.I plug my beacon,radar detector,and sander controls into this and my cell phone stays in the stock one thats always hot.That way i dont forget to turn on the beacon when i get in or turn it off when i get out.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 11-23-2000 at 01:35 AM]

3. CCLC

CCLC Member

We just get 2500's and 3500's from the factory. We order 4.10 rears, moderately agressive tires, snow plow prep package, and dual batteries. We just get 8' plows put on them and start pushing snow.

4. SlimJim Z71

Oh yeah... I put a B&M 19,000GVW trans cooler on too. Seems to help quite a bit. I was thinking about getting a smaller pully for my alternator, but I wanted to see how it does while plowing first.

5. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

John,

Gonna miss the Ram??

Dave

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You guys have too much money & free time on your hands. I got nice coffee cup holders, slapped the SIMA stickers on & gave the trucks a good kick in the rear bumpers while giving them the speech about how they'd better behave this winter if we get any snow ;)

7. SlimJim Z71

You gotta love GM cup holders... they're the only ones I've seen that wil SAFELY hold a Super-Size drink from McDonalds.

Don't get me wrong though, I gave the kick in the bumper too... but it hurt pretty bad since my feet were so freakin cold.

8. fivestr19

fivestr19 Junior Member

the ram cup holders will hold a supersized drink no ploblem and it ajust to hold the little ones happymeal drinks.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I had to LOL at the mods you guys need to do to your Chebbys. My Ram is the same way it came out of the box. Only addition was a backup alarm and two backup spots. I ordered it with all the HD stuff I could get, plus carpet delete-nothing like the smell of month-old slush in a carpet on a warm February day.

10. John DiMartino

Dave,Im going to miss it,but it was a little long for big lots and since i drive the 89 now with the v-box.I didnt trust anyone else in the big Ram.It was to clean to put the V-box in and then it wouldve been even longer.My chevys do not need any of the mods I did,but in doing them i hope to prevent a breakdown at a later date that could cost a lot more than the upgrade.I am picky about my trucks.My Dodge had just as many mods,so you better get that shift kit ordered for the Dodge if its an auto.

11. SlimJim Z71

Same here... I didn't NEED to do the mods. I just figure if I can make it more comfortable to be in that truck for 8 to 20 hours at a time, it's worth it. Plus, it never hurts to provide a little more protection against a break-down. I don't care what you're driving, plowing is abusive. Anything you can do to protect your investment is a good idea. Besides, I didn't do all that stuff just for plowing. It's also my daily driver. Pulls our boat. Take it camping... etc. It's a great truck. I just made it a whole lot nicer.

P.S. Keep an eye on the trans in your Dodge. I don't know from experience, maybe just rumors, but I havn't heard too many good things about Dodge Ram transmissions.

12. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Like most, we buy 'em heavy and run them pretty much stock. I do go through the plow installer's work to make sure it is sound. I also install grease fittings in all the plow pivots - in makes the plows less sloppy and, yes, a tad bit quieter. I also made a protector/cover for the plastic trailer wiring connector that fits the 2" hitch and is flush with the bumper - I got tired of changing broken plastic 7-wire harnesses in the spring.

Yeah - we kick them too, but usually the swearing keeps them in line.

13. fivestr19

fivestr19 Junior Member

I wish i would have kept my ram stock pretty much but heres a list of her mods

3 inch rancho suspension lift
    35" BFG m\t 16.5x9.75 Weld typhoons
    trailmaster SST shocks
    Trailemaster SST steering sabilizer
    Flowmaster Cat back Duals
    K&N airfilter
    Tinted windowscarbon fiber racing pedals
    huskey custom fit floor mats all around
    Window vents
    Rear Back lights
    Diamond rails
    rihno liner
    Pioneer pr9200 deck
    2 12" rockford fosgate dvc
    400w Rockford fosgate amp
    ram tail light covers
    black outs
    8' boss staight blade
    Air-Flo V-Box salter

Things i would keep if i had to do it over
    trailmaster SST shocks
    huskey custom fit floor mats
    Window vents
    Diamond rails
    8' boss staight blade
    Air-Flo V-Box salter

14. DaveO

from Ma.

John,

Not knockin your Chevy's. Any truck will work. Just curious about the diffs you notice. I have plowed with most of the current 3/4 and 1 tons. They all have pros/cons as you know.
    Your Ram had the HD parts that most don't come with...i.e. dual batts, hd alt, hd springs, trans cooler, etc

The Chevy's springs are too light for my taste. But torsion bars are easy to adjust. Only other gripe would be the front ride height. Scrapes curb tops too easy. Otherwise they are tough to break, even the 4.3L 1500 pushes snow well.

You also forgot that Dodge already "fixed" the auto on my year. That's why they bumped it to 235/460. One of my friends has an '00, been runnin at the track. His last run was 14.90 @ 90mph. Not too bad for a diesel. His stock trans has held the xtra power, and his line(pump)pressure is 20psi LESS than the '01. Only time will tell if Dodge fixed it well enough. But I'm gonna plow with the Ford this year...IF we get any snow

5star...Didn't like the Rhinoliner??

Dave

15. John DiMartino

I really miss the big Dodge,Dave,but i got great money for it and Im still looking for an newer one.The dodge would push as good empty s my 89 GMC 2500 with a full v-box,even though the dodge was 7600 empty and the GMC is well over 8000 loaded.GMC has no posi rear-dodge had it,Diesel got at least double fuel economy of 350.

16. DaveO

from Ma.

John,

GMC has no posi rear? Didn't know that. It is FUN to walk the rear out on wet days, steering with the throttle...LOL

Dave

17. John DiMartino

Dave,it was available-but mine wasnt ordered with it,and itll cost me500 to add it now,so ill live without it.When you buy used-you cant always get every option even though i try.

18. Smither

Smither Member

Ok John DiMartino & SlimJim Z71, I have a question for you. SlimJim, you talked about putting a Powermaster 200 amp alternator on your truck. I checked out Powermasters web site and couldn't find it. Where did you get yours at? John, you talked about a conversion kit for your alternator. Where did you get it? Any help you can give is appreciated.

19. SlimJim Z71

I originally ordered my alternator from Summit Racing. But... they sent me one that was frozen up. So, I ended up getting one straight from Powermaster, plus they threw in the adapter harness in so it would just plug into my trucks harness. I would call them direct first and see what all you need. But be prepared, it cost me about $380. I'm considering a smaller pully so it puts out more at idle.

20. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Oh my, my, my......

NEVER kick a truck to get it to plow right.

Always kiss a finger and touch it lightly to the drivers side fender (never use your lips as this irritates good trucks and they tend to then try to freeze your lips to the metal). Run your gloved hand along the bed liner, lightly pat the rear bumper. Get into the truck, and say "good morning" in a light manner - telling the truck that you will both be working in unison for the length of the storm, praising its ability to hog snow like no other. Gently tell "your baby" that you won't intentionally spill coffee (or soda) on the seat as long as it doesn't hit the piles too hard. And if you do spill, it will be a mistake and you'll wipe it up promptly.

Promise to use super unleaded during the storm and that you'll check the oil each time you fill the gas (or diesel) tank.

Tell your truck that you know it will rarely let you down, and if it does - it will be the big bad mechanic's fault.

So let it be said.... so let it be done.....

PS: Can you tell I got some sleep ?? Although, we are still plowing every day..... mush gets plowed too.....