1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

truck mod for crazy mountain plowing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by martinf, Aug 14, 2016.

1. martinf

martinf Junior Member

Hi all. New to this forum with what I would imagine to be an unusual plowing issue.
    I live up in the Cascade mtns of Washington with a mile long gravel drive way . I have 5 tight switchbacks and up to 14% grade.

I've been plowing my road for 18 years with a dedicated snow rig that's an IH scout 800 with chains on all fours. Works great, no complaints about that. BUT, man has it been hard on my axles! Several differentials in 18 years. This winter I twisted an axle and, after a pia day-long repair in a January snow bank, I promised myself I would upgrade my drive line.

...I'm getting to the question soon. My big problem is the dana 27 in my front axle. You can't upgrade a scout to a dana 44 stock without mods. So I've dug in and done just that. A dodge dana 44 up front and a GM 14 bolt in the rear. And doing this required me to do a spring over axle conversion.

So now I have a much more stout drive line BUT also 6" of lift and a wider wheel base with my wheels sticking out 2" on each side.
    Questions:
    All other things being equal, does the lift help me or hurt me? I know I need to lower my plow bracket.
    Now my plow isn't as wide as my new wider wheel base. Will driving over my windrows be a problem?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Put wings on the plow or get a wider plow.

How did you address the new driveline angle?

Don't lower the mount, build up / extend the plow side mount up.

3. martinf

martinf Junior Member

I havent finished the mods yet...waitiñgon new ubolts...but it looks like I'm going to be within the 15 degree ujoint limit I keep hearing about. Seems to me that since I'll be going so slow with really limited drive shaft rpm, I don't need to worry about putting in a CV joint etc.

Could you explain your advice about the mount a little more? Are you meaning to beef up the mount as is so that it can handle the increased load resulting from a longer lever?
    Thanks

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Or rotate the axel a littel more, true the rpm's will be lower, but will the torque ?

On the plow side , extend the mount up.
    It's easer to do in most cases than fabricating or extending the truck side.
    Also extending the truck side will increase the leverage the mount has on the truck frame.

The plow side frame should be leval to the road when the plow is down for the best performance.

Also knowing what make/type of mount/plow you are useing will help too.

5. martinf

martinf Junior Member

I just came from the shop an unhappy guy. The SOA mod just isn't gonna work. Back axle would be ok...like a 7 degree angle down. But the front driveshaft would be about 30 degrees down. And if I rotated the axle to get the pinion pointed up straight at the transfer case and put a CV joint in there, the differential would be way way out plumb. I just don't like it. So now I'm going to mock it up with the springs under my axles and extend my leaf spring shackles if need be.

My wheels are still going to stick out tho. So would you go with wings or a wider blade to deal with the issue of my tires riding up on the furrow? I really like to get a good curl of snow arcing out and other the side of the road. He er used wings before...would that interfere with that?
    Thanks.
    BTW I'm originally from Detroit lakes area.

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

How is driving in the berm beneficial for traction or removing the snow from the roAd?

You need a blade wide enought to clear a path for the rig pushing the plow.
    Then if you swing the blade to the side it clears a narrower path, so ypur really in the berm/ windrow now.

Or leave her stock, don't get rammy when Ya get stuck, use tire chains stay out of 4lo. Keep wheel spin to a minamum. A wider plow will help, keeping you out of trouble.

But it's your rig , what ever Ya want to try is cool.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  7. martinf

martinf Junior Member

Do you have any thoughts about wings vs a wider blade?

8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have wings on my Western MVP. The wings are angled forward and do restrict somewhat snow being thrown off the blade. It's tolerable in powdery snow, but when we have heavier wet snow, I take the wings off or else I end up with big chunks of snow rolling off.

Sounds like you would be better off with a wider blade with no wings.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

a wider blade.

narrower tires, different back spacing on the rims are all options.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016